December 31, 2015

Kwanzaa- Day Six, and New Year's Eve

The sixth day of Kwanzaa is dedicated to the principle of Kuumba (koo-OOM-bah), creativity. I can use my creative energies to build a beautiful and vibrant home and community.

For many people, New Year's Eve is a big night. W and I are at loose ends; we have no parties to go to or family to celebrate with- and are happy, really, to be alone together tonight. That said, we do want to show in the New Year with some fun and fanfare. Our plan is to cook a simple dinner together, watch a movie on TV, and toast the New Year with champagne at midnight.

Agenda Today:
1. Journal:
What creative ideas do I have to improve my house, my relationships, the school I work at, my faith community, and my neighborhood?

Look at my intentions for the New Year from the perspective of an artist (that is, upside down). What does my crazy wisdom tell me?

2. Ceremony:
I light the first candles, plus the last red candle, and say this affirmation-

I will use my creative talents and energies to improve young minds and hearts, and make my home and community more beautiful and vibrant.

3. Choose my New Year's Resolutions:
I've been thinking about this all week, and this is what I've decided-

In the New Year, I resolve to:
1. Do the daily work of healing my poor body- physical therapy, diet, rest, and patience.
2. Continue to pare down my belongings- and put each thing in it's place.
3. Renew my painting practice- make it a persistent habit again
4. Create equanimity with the difficult people in my life.

4. Creativity project:
This year I decided to make a visual reminder of my New Year’s resolutions, an eye-catching magnet to put on the refrigerator. I chose appropriate adinkra symbols from Ghana, West Africa, to illustrate each one. Here's what you will need to make one for yourself-

Supplies:

  • nice paper
  • pencil and pen
  • adinkra symbols (You can find drawings of the symbols here.)
  • glue
  • recycled flat magnets from advertisements
1. Choose symbols that illustrate each of your resolutions. My symbols:
  • HYE WON HYE- "that which does not burn" - I can walk on fire, endure, and overcome difficulties.
  • BESE SAKA- "sack of cola nuts" - I have all I need.
  • SESA WO SUBAN- "transformation" (the morning star  inside the wheel) - It's a new day, and I have the persistence to bring about great change.
  • MPATAPO- "knot of reconciliation"  - I create the bond for a peaceful, harmonious reconciliation.
2. Draw the symbols, and type or write out the resolutions.



3. Glue it to poster board.
4. Add flat magnets onto the back, or magnet tape


and stick it on your refrigerator!




5. Make wassail:
The wassail bowl is an old Gaelic tradition still observed in Scotland and Great Britain. The word wassail comes from the Old English wes hál, meaning to be whole, and it was a toast made at medieval feasts to welcome the guests. People would carry a bowl of hot cider or ale outdoors on New Year’s Eve to share with neighbors, and groups of wassailers would go door-to-door singing to get their bowls filled. Tons of different recipes abound, but I like this simple one:

Ingredients:
  • 1 quart of hard apple cider (or use non-alcoholic cider)
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar (I used less)
  • 2 sticks of cinnamon
  • 8 cloves
  • 8 allspice berries
  • apple slices
Yield: 4 servings-

1- Peel and slice the apples, and cut in thirds. Heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds on high, to soften.

2- Combine all ingredients in a pot. Smash the apples to a pulp. Heat just to warm.

3- Strain directly into cups and serve warm. Save the last bit to pour onto an apple tree to ensure next year's crop.

6. Wassail my apple tree:
I really love my apple tree, and so sometime on New Year's eve I will probably slip out to toast it's health, pour some cider on it’s roots, and give it a "Hurra".

"Here’s to thee, old apple-tree,
Whence thou mayst bud, and whence thou mayst blow,
And whence thou mayst bear apples enow!
Hats-full! Caps-full!
Bushel, bushel sacks-full!
And my pockets full, too! Hurra!

7. Make noise: 
Noise-making is considered an effective way to drive off the spirits of the old year and awaken the sleeping new year. We will gather horns, bells, pots, pans, and whistles, throw open the door at midnight, count down the final seconds of the old year, then let loose with whoops and cheers, bangs and toots, to welcome in the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment