May 5, 2019

Ramadan

Tonight is the start of Ramadan, an Islamic holiday that marks the discovery of the Qur’an by the Prophet Muhammad. The Islamic calendar is totally lunar, so Ramadan begins a few weeks earlier each year, at the sighting of the thin crescent moon, hopefully at sundown tonight.
Sunset photo by Brayden
Ramadan is a month of blessing. By night, Muslims read the Qur'an, and celebrate the compassion of God with special prayers. 

By day, they give generously to charities, and observe the discipline of fasting: They eat an early morning meal before the sun rises, then eat and drink nothing until after sundown. 

The Ramadan fast includes abstinence from falsehood and anger, in words and in deeds. It's purpose is to help Muslims to develop self-discipline, a strong spirit, generosity, and empathy

Even though I don't partake in a fast, I observe Ramadan in this same spirit, renewing my relationship with God, and exercising self-discipline and generosity. I hope to build my empathy for Muslims as they observe their month-long fast


Agenda:
1. Celestial awareness
2. Sunset prayer
3. Practice daily joyful activism
4. Enjoy Iftar tomorrow night
1. Celestial awareness: 
Ramadan lasts from tonight's crescent moon to next month's crescent moon. It's not a seasonal holiday because it falls at a different season every year; I think of it as a celestial holiday.

As part of my effort to have empathy for the Muslim's as they fast, I attempt to have a heightened awareness of the movement of the moon during this month, and each day's sunrise and sunset.

It takes special effort to pay attention to heavenly events. Muslims have the motivation of the fast, in which I am not partaking. I need to find creative ways to remind myself to be mindful. To help, I subscribe to a calendar ap that gives me a reminder on my phone. (It also helps that my ducks need to be let in and out of the coop with the sunset and sunrise.)


2. Sunset prayer:
Our back yard at dusk
I plan to observe a sunset prayer-time again during Ramadan. I'll go out on my back porch at sunset and chant one of the 99 names of God mentioned in the Qur'an.

I've made it my practice to pick a different one each year. This year I'm chanting An-Noor, النُّورُ, from the Arabic root n-w-r, which means:
  • to fill with light, to illuminate
  • to clarify, to reveal
  • to blossom or bloom
  • to be flaming, blazing, and apparent to the senses
  • to enlighten, give counsel, or give advice
An-Noor means, then, the One whose light illuminates the heart, clarifies, manifests and reveals; the light of wisdom and guidance. I need that more than ever now!

3. Practice daily joyful activism:
Ramadan's purpose is to help Muslims to develop self-discipline, a strong spirit, generosity, and empathy. My own work this month is to develop the strength of will to stand up and speak truth to power! I'm going to try to take one intentional action each day. I've been collecting a list and here are my first week's ideas:
  • Talk to someone about the city's climate action plan
  • Finish my new bike flag: Climate Revolutions- "I'm Revolving- Are You?"
  • Write a statement on why biking infrastructure needs to be a top priority
  • Attend the city's budget meeting and speak
  • Attend the Active Transportation meeting and speak
  • Work on my hat band: "We still have time"
  • Review active listening guidelines
4. Enjoy Iftar tomorrow night: 
The Ramadan fast is broken at sunset with a meal called iftar. I plan to eat a simple Turkish-style iftar meal with Ezogelin (EZ-oh gel-EEN) soup, flat bread, goat cheese, black olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, and dates. The soup is very tasty and filling.

Ingredients:


  • 1 onion
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 Tbsp. tomato paste 
  • 4 c. chicken or beef stock
  • 3/4 c. red lentils
  • 1/2 c. bulgar
  • salt
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. dry or fresh mint
  • pepper
Garnish: 

  • 2 Tbsp. butter 
  • 1 tsp. mint 
  • lemon wedges 
  • red pepper flakes 
Yield: 4-6 servings-

1- Chop the onion and saute with olive oil for about 4 minutes, then add the flour and stir until bubbly, but not browned.


2- Mix the tomato paste with 2 Tbsp. water, add to the flour, and stir until well combined. 

3- Next, slowly add the broth while stirring constantly. Continue stirring the mixture over high heat until it comes to a boil.


4- Wash the red lentils and bulgar together in a strainer until the water runs clear. Add them to the boiling soup. Add salt and spices, then reduce the heat and cover the pan. Simmer slowly until grains are very soft and the lentils fall apart- about 20 minutes.
5- For the garnish, melt butter in a small pan until just bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in the mint. Pour it into the soup, stir and serve with lemon wedges and red pepper flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment