March 26, 2015

Navratri, Part 3

For the next three nights the Mother is invoked as Saraswati, the Goddess of learning, speech, music, and all the creative arts. Saraswati is dressed in white, holds a scroll and plays music on a veena. She is called the Flowing-One because she comes from the river, and offers the gift of fluidity in speech and thought. She is the embodiment of the knowledge of Truth and spiritual wisdom. Saraswati shines with the pure light and uplifting energy of sattwa.

On my path I pass through the stages that everyone has to pass through- one naturally leads to the next. As I eliminate an undesirable quality, I develop the virtue opposite to it. Each time I succeed in developing and strengthening my good qualities, I am ready to receive another bit of the Light, moving towards enlightenment- that is what the nine days of Navratri are all about.

Saraswati is on the right, behind the white candle.
(Notice how tall my sprouts have gotten!)
Agenda Today:
1- Add to my puja:

On the seventh day of Navratri I add a tall white candle, as a symbolic form of Saraswati, and the light of sattwa.

2- Journaling:
For the next three days write about my inner wisdom.

Write down the spiritual teachings or Truths I wish to understand better, and find a book to study.

3- Visualization and prayer:
For these last three nights, I light the candle, and honor the intuitive aspect of the Mother-

I pray “Thank you, Mother, for providing energy for the earth to move around the sun, causing spring to come again, and for maintaining the correct balance of the universe. You are the earth. You nourish support, protect, and mother all creatures, all beings. I ask you to give me power to open my heart, and flow with the river of life. Bless me with an abundance of wisdom, happiness, peace, and creativity, and guide my voice to speak the Truth." 

Then I picture Saraswati sitting on the blossom of my heart, sprinkling me with cleansing waters, and shining the light of wisdom, peace, and Truth.

4- Saraswati Mantra:
I focus on my image of Saraswati and chant-

  • Om - the primodial sound 
  • Aim - from which knowledge and powers of speech emanate 
  • Sa-ra-swath-yai - goddess of wisdom 
  • Na-ma-ha - I pray.
(You might want to chant along with someone who knows how. Many YouTube versions exist, and my favorite is here.)

5- Make sundal:
Many Hindus eat only vegetarian foods during Navratri; often a different sundal (dry legume dish) each night.

Served with homemade naan and green beans.



Ingredients: 
  • 1 c. moong dal (yellow lentils) 
  • 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder 
  • salt to taste 
  • 4 tsp. oil 
  • 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds 
  • 1 - 2 green chili peppers
  • 1 tsp. fresh gingerroot
  • 1/2 tsp. of lemon juice 
  • 1/4 c. coconut
Yield: 4 servings-

1- Combine the moong dal, 3 c. water, turmeric, and salt in a heavy bottomed pan. Simmer on medium for 10 - 12 minutes, stirring frequently. Do not over cook- the moong dal should be soft, but still whole and not mushy. Drain and set aside.

2- Meanwhile, chop the green chili and mince the ginger.

3- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan, add mustard seeds, chili, and ginger. Stir and fry for a couple of minutes, then add the drained moong dal and saute for a minute.

4- Add grated coconut and lemon juice. Mix well. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment