March 24, 2015

Navratri Continues

For the next three nights the Mother is invoked as Lakshmi, goddess of material and spiritual wealth. She is a beautiful golden woman with four arms, sitting on a fully bloomed lotus and holding a lotus bud. Cascades of gold coins flow from her hands, and she wears gold embroidered red clothes, indicating her offering of prosperity. Lakshmi brings the growth and unfolding of whatever is life enhancing. 

The word Lakshmi comes from the Sanskrit word Laksya, meaning aim or goal. After Durga has destroyed the old structure of my personality, a constructive process can begin. Lakshmi  heals and nourishes my spirit and brings me steadiness of mind. She bestows spiritual and material wealth, good food, health, and happiness.



Lakshmi is in the center, above the bowl of coins.
Agenda Today:
1- Add to my puja:

On the fourth day of Navratri I add a crystal bowl of coins from around the world , as a symbolic form of Lakshmi.

2- 
Journaling:
For the next three days write about my inner life-giving force of creativity. 
Write down the qualities and habits I wish to cultivate.

3- Visualization and prayer:
For these second three nights I honor the constructive aspect of the Mother. 

I pray “Thank you, Mother, for providing energy for the earth to move around the sun, causing spring to come again, and for maintaining the correct balance of the universe. You are the earth. You nourish support, protect, and mother all creatures, all beings. I ask you to help me to develop and maintain patience, forgiveness, compassion, loving-kindness, and integrity. Give me the persistence to succeed at my goals, and bless me with abundant health and happiness.

Then I picture 
Lakshmi sitting on the blossom of my heart, gently opening it to accept love and happiness into my life.

4- Lakshmi Mantra:
I focus on my image of Lakshmi and chant-
  • Om - the primodial sound 
  • Shreem -  from which beauty and feminine energy eminates
  • Ma-ha - great
  • Lak-shma-yai - goddess of wealth
  • Na-ma-ha - I pray.
(You might want to chant along with someone who knows how. Many YouTube versions exist, and my favorite is here.)

5- Rangoli:
Today I made a rangoli of Lakshmi's  footprints on the threshold of our front door, with chalk and rice flour, to welcome the Goddess of success.



6- Make sundal: 
Many Hindus eat only vegetarian foods during Navratri; often a different sundal (dry legume dish) each night. 

Tonight I made Sweet Corn Sundal.

Ingredients:
2 c. frozen sweet corn
1-2 green chilies
1 small carrot
2 Tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
1/4 c. grated coconut
salt to taste

1- Steam the corn in water according to the package instructions, then drain and set aside.

2- Finely chop chilies and carrot.

3- Heat oil in a wok or frying pan; add mustard seeds and stir until they start to pop, then add chilies and carrots and sauté for a minute.

4- Add the cooked corn, 
salt to taste, and coconut. Stir and sauté for 2 minutes until all is combined. Serve hot or warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment