October 15, 2016

Full Squirrel Moon

Tonight is the full moon, my monthly time for action and release: I look again at the “seeds of intention” I planted 2 weeks  at the new moon and decide on my next steps to take, I take those steps, then I release my expectations in order to clear space for new ideas and new intentions.
The squirrels are creating great entertainment these days for my dog Sadie!
This full moon is called the Squirrel Moon, because the squirrels are busily gathering nuts for the winter. This is a good time for me to gather my forces inward.

Agenda for today:
1. Altar:
It's time to discern what to put on my altar for the next month. (For my thoughts on altars see About Altars). I generally keep it simple and choose only things that speak to me and feed me, and reveal what I believe in. I ask, what quality of Spirit do I want to invoke?

Last week, after Navratri, I honed my altar down to a few items. 
  • my straw doll- for abundance, luck and protection
  • a turquoise candle for stillness, thought and study
Today I add-
  • A God's Eye, for protection
  • This quote:
~ Rabindranath Tagore
2. Journal:
Review the intentions I set 2 weeks ago, at the new moon. Review also the goals I set at the beginning of the year.

Do these aims all still seem vital? 
What topics of study are of interest to me now?
What are some current events or issues I wonder about? 
What new skills might be useful? 

3. Practice at my theme:
My theme this month is stillness. When I leave time in my daily routine for study, writing, meditation, and prayer, I honor the full rhythm of life; the yin time of "being" balances my yang times of action and doing. In the stillness, my ego disappears for a bit. I can then turn back to the outside world, seeing myself as a part of the whole rather than as an isolated individual. 

This week I am starting with these topics of study:

  • Creativity cycle
  • Collage ideas
  • Resilience
  • First Things First, by Stephen Covey
  • Marketing
4. Mountain Pose Meditation:
Mountain Pose is the foundational pose for all standing yoga postures. It helps improve balance and inner calmness. It seems simple, but it’s important to learn how to do it correctly, so find out how here.

The image of the mountain represents meditation, and the resting of body, mind and spirit. When practicing the Mountain Pose I use this visualization:

Picture my favorite mountain- it’s shape, it’s peaks, the rocks, the trees, the undergrowth.


Imagine that I am this mountain, rising from the surface of the earth; say, “I Am the Mountain.” Feel my splendid stability. I have reached the peak of upward movement, and in stillness I hold my place.

See time passing- day turns into night, the moon rises over me, gradually dawn comes again. The seasons change- snow covers me, rain strikes me, then sun bakes me. My surface changes, but the essence of the mountain remains the same.

View from the top of the South Sister.
5. Take Action:
The full moon is a time to celebrate life, stay up late, see friends, exercise harder, and be more creative and outgoing. The crazy full moon energy builds and builds; it’s best to acknowledge it so it doesn’t throw me off balance. This surge of energy allows me to take action on intentions I set two weeks ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment