October 2, 2016

Rosh Hashanah

This is the first evening of Rosh Hashanah (Roash hah-shah-nuh), which falls near the new moon of late September or early October. The observance begins at sundown tonight and lasts for two days, but it's actually the start of a ten-day period called the Days of Awe that ends with Yom Kippur. 

Rosh Hashanah means “Head of the Year”; it’s the Jewish New Year for the Spirit. The focus is on repentance for wrongs you have done, and a reaffirmation that you will take the honorable path.



Agenda Today:
1. Journal:
At Rosh Hashanah I turn my thoughts inward and look at the part of me that is God, to consider how I might be a better person in the year ahead. I ask myself--
Am I living my life, each day, in a way that leads me towards my mission?
Am I enjoying the journey on that path?
Do I feel honorable and contented?
What could I do better?


From my journal: I want to be better at expressing myself, with my writing and my artwork. And before I can get do that I need to know what exactly I want to express... that's not clear to me! This month I'm opening and listening to better understand the themes and images I want to work on.


2. Prepare for the Seder:
It's traditional to eat three foods on Rosh Hashanah: Honey for a sweet year, round apples, and round challah for a solid round year.
I baked a fresh round loaf of challah for this Seder, and cut the apples in rounds.
3. Share a Seder:
My husband and I had a small Seder and it was lovely. We lit candles, and said these prayers-

Barukh attah Adonai, Eloheinu, melekh ha'olam, ha-motzi lechem min ha-aretz.
Blessed art Thou, oh God, Who brings forth bread from the earth.

We took a bite of the challah (dipped in honey), then continued with the following:


Barukh attah Adonai eloheinu melekh ha-olam, Borei peri ha-eitz.
Blessed art Thou, oh God, Creator of the fruit of the trees.

We took a bite from the apple (dipped in honey), then finished with:

Shana towva umetuka!
May the year be good and sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment