February 26, 2017

Budding New Moon and Maha Shivratri

Tonight is the new moon; the Chinese call the second new moon the Budding Moon

Spring has always been my favorite time of year, when I feel most creative and joyful. As we cycle nearer to spring, I can feel my energy growing and swelling like the buds on the trees!





Shiva, Crafts Museum, New Delhi
Tonight is also Maha Shivratri, a Hindu festival which falls each year on the night of the new moon in the Hindu month of Phalgun (in February or March). The Sanskrit word ratri means night, and maha means great, so Maha Shivratri is the night to honor the great Shiva, for his dance of primordial creation, preservation, and destruction.

Many Hindus keep a fast all day, make offerings of flowers and incense, and chant to Shiva. They vigil all night, sing songs, and dance to the rhythm of the drums.



Agenda Today: 
1. Mantra:
Today I will chant the Panchakshara mantra, which means "five letters" in Sanskrit, and refers to the five letters Na, Ma, Si, Va, and Ya:
Om (the primordial sound)
Namah (I honor)
Shivaya (the source of creation)

Hear the chant here.

This is a prayer to Shiva, who is the universal consciousness. Shiva is life potential and the ground out of which everything grows; Shiva is the space from where everything has come, where everything is sustained, and where everything eventually dissolves.

When I meditate on Shiva in this way, rather than as a blue-faced God-being, I get closer to the truth of the Hindu pantheon.
2. Journal:
This is my monthly time for “seeding” intentions. I write down what I hope to focus on in the next 30 days or so, and then give my ideas a period of gestation, like seeds in the soil, before I take action. Having this regular time each month to focus my goals has helped to give me clarity of purpose.

What creative paths am I starting down?
What do I need to clear from my path in order to create something new?

3. New moon meditation and prayer:
Shivratri is the darkest night of the month; it's an opportunity to give myself the experience of the vast emptiness that is the source of all creation

Tonight I will light a small white candle on my altar. I will center, and feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life. And I will ask Shiva to strip away my striving for comfort and safety, so that I can be open to the infinite possibilities. 

4. Plan:
As the moon waxes, I expand-- plant seeds, make connections, and begin new projects. This week I will make some plans for creative action.

5. Make Thandai:
Some Hindus observe a strict fast today, though many go on a diet of fruits and milk. This famous flavored milk is traditionally prepared to drink, and as an offering to Shiva.

Ingredients:

  • 1 c. whole milk
  • 1-Tbsp. sugar
  • 1/8 tsp. saffron strands
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon 
  • 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom 
  • dash of ground black pepper
  • 1-Tbsp. almonds 
  • 1-Tbsp. cashews
  • 1/2-Tbsp. poppy seeds
  • 1/2-Tbsp. fennel seeds 
1- Pour milk in a heat proof measuring cup or saucepan, add saffron and sugar and heat till sugar dissolves. I did all the heating in my microwave, on low heat. (I can't afford saffron so I just left it out).

2- Add ground cinnamon, cardamom, and black pepper to the milk and wisk to combine.
3- Combine the almonds, cashews, poppy seeds, and fennel seeds and grind into a fine powder. I used my coffee grinder and did it in 2 batches.





4- 
Add to the milk and mix well. Heat the milk again for a few seconds. Cool at room temperature, then refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours. 


5- Strain the mixture through a sieve. Serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment