February 22, 2017

Pea Planting Day

Pea Planting Day is a special anniversary for us. 
February 22 is listed on my planting calendar as the first day to plant peas in the Willamette Valley; it also happens that this is the day W and I got engaged to each other, 41 years ago!

Peas are traditionally the first vegetable sown outside in the spring because they will germinate and grow in very cool soil. We plant peas today to ceremonially kick off the start of the planting season, and also to remind ourselves of the beginnings of our relationship; the day we decided to be together forever.

Double rainbow I saw yesterday on the walk home from school.
Agenda Today:
1. Pea Planting Ceremony:

We usually get our share of rain in February, and it's been really pouring this week.


Pea bed, ready for planting.


















I always turn the pea bed earlier, to be ready. As I turn the soil in the pea bed, I remember that plowing is a sacred act of connection to the Earth Spirit. 

We plant the peas as an offering to the earth, and an offering to our relationship. We also drink a little wine and spill some on the ground, to bless the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment