February 10, 2017

Tu b'Shevat and Full Snow Moon

Tu B’Shevat (too b’sch VAHT) is the Jewish New Year for Trees. It begins at sunset on the evening of the full moon of late January or early February-- but it's timed to the full moon in Israel.
Our January snow storm.
Tonight is also the full moon, called the Snow Moon. We had all our snow in January, but it keeps threatening a last sprinkling. The weather is wet and cold in any case.

This is the season when the earliest-blooming trees in Israel begin a new fruit-bearing cycle. In contemporary Israel it’s celebrated with tree planting ceremonies and a focus on ecological awareness. Many also share a seder (ceremonial meal) with tree fruits.

I like the focus on trees and ecology, but I also enjoy the deeper symbolism expressed by the Kabbalists: They have an image of God as an upside-down tree, whose roots are invisible to us, and whose trunk and branches reach downward toward us. Through this Tree of Life flows love, enlightenment, and persistent creation, causing the world and each of our lives to bloom.

Agenda: 
1. Altar:
It's time to clear my altar and discern what to put on it for February. (For my general thoughts on altars see About Altars). I generally keep it simple and choose only things that speak to me and feed me, and reveal what I believe in.

I put a few things back on my altar-
  • the Greek Delphic injunction, Gnothi Seauton- Know Thyself.
  • grey candle, for objectivity and release
  • my harvest doll, for luck and protection
Today I add-
  • pink candle for openness, receptivity, and generosity
  • a piece of quartz, for the purity of winter
  • a turtle, for long life and the patient earth
  • an empty bowl to symbolize waiting with an open heart and mind.
2. Journal: 
The full moon is my monthly time for action and release: I look again at the “seeds of intention” I planted 2 weeks ago at the new moon and decide on my next steps to take; I take those steps; then I release my expectations in order to clear space for new ideas and new intentions.

How do I actively practice making a connection to the flow of love and Light that comes from the Tree of Life?
How can I be more open to receiving spiritual blessings
How can I be a better conduit through which blessings flow on to others?

Review the intentions I set 2 weeks ago, at the new moon. 

Do these goals all still seem vital? 

What are my next steps?
How can I be more openhearted and patient with the relationships, projects, and ideas I am nurturing?

3. Practice at my theme:
My theme this month is receptivity; like the earth- accepting the seed, and willing to nurture it. Receptivity requires that I be open, gentle, and available, but not passive: I must give attention to what I receive, and do the work required to care for it.

My goals this month are to:

  • Continue to work at equanimity, and be less defensive- refrain from reacting to what might seem like an attack.
  • Take the time to open myself to inspiration, and then do the work that inspiration gives me.
  • Nurture my friendships.
  • Give care and support to the committees I am on.
  • Shower C & J's wedding preparations with loving attention!
4. Visualization: 
Light my pink candle and settle into quiet meditation. 
Focus on the tender emotion of generous love. 
Allow a smile to settle on my face and in my heart. 
Visualize love as soft, tingly, warm, pink light, and see it move from my heart to every part of my body so that every cell is glowing and vibrating. 
Now see the pink light of love radiating to fill the whole room, then the whole city, and the whole planet earth. 
See that all people, plants, and animals feel warm and happy. 
Send an extra dose of love-light to my family and close friends. 

Pray: "Great Spirit, open my heart to generous love."

5. Plant trees:
It’s a tradition to plant trees on Tu b’Shevat, or to donate money for the environment. I planted a lemon tree two years ago, and here it is now! 

6. Have a Seder: 
Eating fruit on this night helps to keep Divine blessings flowing in the world. We will have a fruit seder tonight at sunset.

I usually buy any fruits I feel like, but I try to include some of the seven species of fruits and grains named in the Torah (Deuteronomy 8:8): Wheat, barley, grapes, figs, pomegranates, olives, and dates. 

We cut the fruit and arrange it on a big platter, and set the table nicely with candles and flowers. (I also make some whipped cream, for fun.)

When everything is ready, I light the candles and we say this prayer:

Baruch atah Adonai eloheynu melech ha-olam borey p’ri ha-eyts.

Blessed are You, our God, Who creates the fruit of the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment