February 18, 2015

Chinese New Year's Eve and New Holiday Moon

In China, this evening is called Ch’u-yeh, the evening of discarding, because we can finally be done with the old year, and with winter. The last day of the year is busy, because it’s the last chance to complete preparations and be ready to start the year fresh.

When the running around is done, the family spends the rest of the day at home together. This holiday, more than any other Chinese holiday, stresses the importance of family connections. The afternoon and evening are filled with many ceremonies- Ch’u-yeh is a day of thanksgiving for the blessings of the old year. All of this is followed with a big feast!

My preparations aren’t as intense because I’ve already celebrated the start of my New Year. Still, I enjoy practicing many of the customs as a way to honor the beginning of the end of winter.

AND tonight is also the new moon; this moon is called the Holiday Moon in China, because of the New Year Festival. This is my monthly time for “seeding” intentions. I write down what I hope to focus on in the next 30 days or so, and then give my ideas a period of gestation, like seeds in the soil, before I take action. Having this regular time each month to focus my goals has helped to give me clarity of purpose.

Agenda for today:

1. Journal:
Winter is a time for reflection, introspection, self-examination, and dreaming. I've been especially withdrawn the last couple of weeks, and I can feel my juices beginning to bubble.

What am I hungry for? 
What are my next steps in life?
Where is my path leading me next?

List my intentions for the month of February in these areas-

Self, Friends and Family, Teaching, Artwork, Writing, Home and Garden, Work/Business, and Volunteer work. 

2. Plan:
As the moon waxes, I expand-- plant seeds, make connections, and begin new projects. This week I will make some plans for generous action.

3. Welcoming Ceremony: 
Last week, on Little New year, we sent the Kitchen God and his wife to heaven to report on us. Today my students and I will have a small ceremony to welcome the Kitchen God and his wife back from their trip to heaven. 

First I will draw a new portrait, and hang it in the niche. (The kids will draw their own pictures, too, to take home.) Then we will light incense and red candles, and have a moment of silence to think about ways we could be more kind and helpful to our families.

4. 
New moon meditation and thanksgiving ceremony:
The afternoon and evening are filled with many ceremonies- the family gives thanks-offerings to a variety of Chinese gods, to their own ancestors, and to the Spirits of the mountains, forests, and rivers. They light incense and candles, and place flowers, fruits, and other special foods on the altar; then they bow and offer sincere thanks.  

I will find time today to privately thank God for the blessings I have received in the past months. This has been a challenging year in some ways, but I have many things to be grateful for! This ceremony is traditionally done in the afternoon, when other work is done. 

1. First I serve myself hot tea in my studio, on a pillow on the floor, and enjoy it leisurely. 

2. Then I light a small white candle. I center, and feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life. I especially feel gratefulness for this quiet, peaceful space to sit, warm and dry.

3. Next I say a prayer of gratitude to my ancestors, and to the Spirits of the mountains, forests, and rivers, and God in all forms. I send thanks for the blessings of the old year, and ask for an abundance of new blessings for the New Lunar Year.

5. Have a feast:
Traditionally, the whole family gathers shares a grand feast on this night. I made a roasted chicken, stir-fried vegetables, and fried rice for two, and it was very tasty, though we do miss the rest of the family.



6. Make a prosperity tree:
The prosperity tree, or money tree, is a tree-shaped charm with coins for leaves, meant to help bring wealth and good fortune to the family. 

The Chinese have always believed in charms and amulets. My own belief is that an image or object is a symbol that makes an idea tangible and somehow more real. We all use charms in one way or another (a peace sign, a valentine), but we just don't often call them that. When we make charms in my art classes, we talk about magic (Harry Potter-style), and the importance of following through with practical action.

Supplies: 
For tree- a branching twig, clippers, small yogurt container, plaster of Paris, masking tape, gold spray paint

For coins- white paper, gold foil paper, pencils, stapler, scissors, black pens, red paper

1. Clip the branch to height you want, and trim the side stems even on each side.

2. Fill the container halfway with water, and begin to sprinkle in the dry plaster.  As you sprinkle, break up any clumps. Continue to sprinkle (without mixing) until the plaster mounds up a bit above the water. If some dry plaster sits above the water, then you've added enough.

3. Use the bottom of your tree branch to stir the plaster. It will begin to set as soon as you stir it. Insert the branch and tape it to hold it until plaster dries.

4. While it dries, you can make the leaves to hang on the tree. The money tree leaves are in the shape of ancient Chine coins, round with a square hole. Draw a circle with a square inside on a 2 x 2-inch square of white paper. This is your pattern.

5. Cut and stack five 2 x 2-inch pieces of gold foil paper, such as origami paper, place the pattern on top, and staple around the outside of the circle.

6. Cut the inside square space first- hold the papers on a thick pad of newspaper and poke a small hole with the point of the scissors. Cut through all the papers at once.

7. Next cut the outside circle, and separate your coins. Add Chinese characters around the sides of your paper coins with a black pen, if you want.

8. You can also write other wishes for prosperity on red paper strips, to attach to tree.

9. Spray your tree branch and container gold. Hang the coins and wishes.

No comments:

Post a Comment