February 3, 2015

Full Snow Moon

Tonight is the full moon, which is my monthly time for action and release: I look again at the “seeds of intention” I planted 2 weeks ago at the new moon and decide on my next steps to take; I take those steps; then I release my expectations in order to clear space for new ideas and new intentions. 

This moon is called the Snow Moon, but we haven't had any snow this winter (yet), and the temperatures are warm- our average high in the last two weeks was 54ยบ! I think that's probably not too unusual, and we can count on another month of wet and cold in any case.

February is a good month for introspection- perfect for reading, writing, prayer, contemplation of the deep questions of life, and listening for leadings and inspirations.

Agenda for today: 
1. Altar: 
It's time to discern what to put on my altar for February. (For my thoughts on altars see About Altars). I generally keep it simple and choose only things that speak to me and feed me, and reveal what I believe in. I ask,
 what quality of Spirit do I want to invoke? 

I have just set out objects for the Imbalc altar, and today I add-
  • a picture of a mountain, for stillness and meditation.
  • a turquoise candle for thought and study.
Each month at the full moon I put a motto or quote on my altar, to ponder as a theme for the month. This month:
~ Rabindranath Tagore
2. Journal: 
Review the intentions I set 2 weeks ago, at the new moon.

Do these goals all still seem vital? What are my next steps? 
What kinds of topics of study are of interest to me now?
What personal qualities do I want to improve this month? 
What new skills might be useful? 
What are some current events or issues I wonder about? 

3. 
Mountain Pose Meditation:
Mountain Pose is the foundational pose for all standing yoga postures. It helps improve  balance and inner calmness. It seems simple, but it’s important to learn how to do it correctly, so find out how here.

The image of the mountain represents meditation, and the resting of body, mind and spirit. When practicing the Mountain Pose I use this visualization:

Picture my favorite mountain- it’s shape, it’s peaks, the rocks, the trees, the undergrowth. 
Imagine that I am this mountain, rising from the surface of the earth; say, “I Am the Mountain.” Feel my splendid stability. I have reached the peak of upward movement, and in stillness I hold my place.

See time passing- day turns into night, the moon rises over me, gradually dawn comes again. The seasons change- snow covers me, rain strikes me, then sun bakes me. My surface changes, but the essence of the mountain remains the same.

4. Stillness and Study:
This month I have reduced my other commitments a bit so that I can spend a little extra time in study and meditation. I will use this time to absorb and integrate my daily experiences. When I build quiet into my daily routine, I honor the full rhythm of life- the yin time of stillness balances my yang actions. 

Albert Einstein said, “Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.” I've found that simply studying the wisdom of others isn’t enough; I have to think through ideas myself, and seek out information that contradicts my views.

Being a mountain allows my ego to disappear for a bit, and all my studies, artwork, and adventures are transformed into something closer to wisdom.

This week I am starting with these topics of study: 
  • Purposeful and clear thinking habits
  • Equanimity practice
  • How to lower my blood pressure
  • How to better teach drawing and painting
5. Housework:
February is also a time of clearing away the excess to make room for growth. Clutter might give me the illusion that I have important things to do, but it adds one more layer of
chaos and confusion to my life.

Now that I've gotten the mold in my house under control I can concentrate on clearing surfaces, sorting the stuff on my shelves, and donating things I no longer need. I take it one room at a time, and this week I will start in the kitchen:
  • Kitchen cupboards: Clean out any old, stale food. Wipe the cupboard shelves and doors.
  • Laundry room shelves: Take down boxes and sort them out. Get rid of stuff I haven't used in more than a year.
  • Art shelves: Sort out supplies, and throw out anything that is broken or dried up. Store the keepers in nice looking boxes with labels.

1 comment:

  1. Great Post! I have read it fully. This is a very inspiring article for me. Thank you so much. You can also check about Mountain Pose

    ReplyDelete