February 3, 2015

Tu b'Shevat

We planted two cedars last year...
...and they've grown!
Tu B’Shevat (too b’sch VAHT) is the Jewish New Year for Trees. It begins at sunset on the evening before the full moon of late January or early February. This is the season when the earliest-blooming trees in Israel begin a new fruit-bearing cycle. In contemporary Israel it’s celebrated with tree planting ceremonies and a focus on ecological awareness. Many also share a seder (ceremonial meal) with tree fruits. 

I like the focus on trees and ecology, but I also enjoy the deeper symbolism expressed by the Kabbalists: They have an image of God as an upside-down tree, whose roots are invisible to us, and whose trunk and branches reach downward toward us. Through this Tree of Life flows love, enlightenment, and persistent creation, causing the world and each of our lives to bloom.

Agenda:
1. Journal:
How do I actively practice making connection to the flow of love and Light coming from the Tree of Life?

How can I be more open to receiving spiritual blessings
How can I be a better conduit through which blessings flow on to others?

2. Plant trees:
It’s a tradition to plant trees on Tu b’Shevat, or to donate money for the environment. We planted trees last year and they are doing great. 

But we can't plant trees in our yard EVERY year, so this year I plan to see if I can grow a lemon tree indoors. Here are the steps I am following to start the seeds.

3. Seder: 
Eating fruit on this night helps to keep Divine blessings flowing in the world. We will have a fruit seder tonight at sunset.

I usually buy any fruits I feel like, but I try to include some of the seven species of fruits and grains named in the Torah (Deuteronomy 8:8): Wheat, barley, grapes, figs, pomegranates, olives, and dates. 

We cut the fruit and arrange it on a big platter, and set the table nicely with candles and flowers. (I also make some whipped cream, for fun.)

When everything is ready, I light the candles and we say this prayer:


Baruch atah Adonai eloheynu melech ha-olam borey p’ri ha-eyts.

Blessed are You, our God, Who creates the fruit of the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment