March 1, 2017

2017 Lent Calendar

My theme for Lent this year is Social Action. I feel a great need to be more active in my community... I don't know how this will evolve, but it will be revealed to me, week by week! 

And as a symbol of that goal, I plan to fast from sitting still: I vow to sit for no more than one hour (at the computer or in front of the TV) before I get active for awhile.

So I've pledged to fast from sitting still, and embrace creative social action instead. But how exactly do I do that? My goals are to:
  • Educate myself: Become more aware of the needs and possibilities for action, near me and far away.
  • Meditate and Journal: Become more open to actions I might actually take. 
  • Take small actions: Write letters, go to rallies and work parties and committee meetings, take some small compassionate actions to make the world better.
  • Creative action: As an artist it's my goal to express myself with my art, so this Lenten period I will get creative and find ways to say what I am feeling.
March 1, Ash Wednesday- Educate Myself:
Go to see the Academy nominated film I Am Not Your Negro, by James Baldwin:  "a journey into black history that connects the past of the Civil Rights movement to the present of Black Lives Matter".

This is a film everyone should see!
March 2- Write my sheriff:
I really like the web site Wall-of-Us; their mission is:
"To make it simply irresistible for Americans to become active participants in our democracy."
"he promised a wall.
he will be stopped by a wall of us."
Each week they send me 4 items to consider acting on. This week one of them was information about how the Trump Administration has called for the removal of nearly all undocumented immigrants, a tripling of the number ICE agents, and the stripping of due process and privacy protections. 

They said that one of the best strategies is engaging county law enforcement, because Trump needs their cooperation to carry out his agenda. But the Sheriff has no legal obligation to assist with civil immigration enforcement, and because the Sheriff is elected, we can put pressure on him not to cooperate. So I sent him an email. All the steps are laid out here.

March 3, World Day of Prayer- Pray for Justice:
The theme this year is "Am I Being Unfair to You?" The women of the Philippines call us to explore concepts of economic justice in both the Philippines’ context and around the world, and our response in light of God’s generosity.

My prayer-- May I be an instrument of hope, liberation, love and joy. May I have a generous spirit. May I become more aware of unfairness in the world, and take compassionate action to alleviate it where I can. May others be awakened to the injustices they perpetuate, and may all the world heal. 

March 4- Make a Collage Diary:
I decided to make a collage wall to record the work I do this Lent, brick by brick.

Supplies: Construction paper, scissors, pen, glue stick



March 5- Journal and Pray:
What has my experience of fasting been so far this Lenten season? 
What insights have I had? 
Spend an hour in prayer; pray for all those people who are suffering or afraid. Pray that we might all be respected and respectful, and live without fear or hatred. Reach deep for compassion and new understanding.


March 6- Deliver donations to Community Supported Shelters:
Conestoga Hut I helped to build a few years ago.
CSS is a local organization that helps homeless people to live with safety and dignity. They organize volunteers to build Conestoga huts and also manage four rest-stops which they call Safe Spots Camp Communities. My Meeting has been collecting donations of gloves, socks, and hand warmers for the Safe Spots, and today I will drop them off at the warehouse.

Hot tea at a cold rally.
March 7- Go to a rally:
Part of the weekly #ResistTrumpTuesdays, put together by People's Action. The rally today will focus on Women's Rights and Health care.

March 8, International Women's Day- Take a day off:
The organizers of the Women's March on Washington have dubbed today "A Day Without A Woman". They invite anyone to participate in one or all of the following ways:
  • Women take the day off, from paid and unpaid labor
  • Avoid shopping for one day (except for at small, women- and minority-owned businesses)
  • Wear RED in solidarity
"When millions of us stood together in January, we saw clearly that our army of love greatly outnumbers that of fear, greed and hatred. Let's raise our voices together again, to say that women’s rights are human rights, regardless of a woman’s race, ethnicity, religion, immigration status, sexual identity, gender expression, economic status, age or disability."

March 9- Attend a committee meeting:
Tonight I will go again to the monthly meeting of the Active Transportation Committee, as a witness and interested party, to hear how our city plans and cares for bicyclists and pedestrians. 

March 10- Letter writing:
I really like the web site Wall-of-Us; their mission is:

"To make it simply irresistible for Americans to become active participants in our democracy."

This week I followed links to learn more about our state Attorney General. While Members of Congress are important, in a Republican-controlled Congress we cannot forget the power of state officials. And state attorneys general are at the top of that list. I wrote our AG to thanks her for opposing Trump’s Muslim ban.

March 11- Artwork:
This week I will work on expressing what I feel about the world.


March 12- Journal, pray, and talk about Sanctuary:
Our Meeting is going to gather today to talk about the idea of giving sanctuary to immigrants who are targeted.

How do I feel about consciencious objection to the law?
What is my obligation when the law is contrary to my testimony of peace and equality?

Spend an hour in prayer; pray for all those people who are suffering or afraid. Pray that we might all be respected and respectful, and live without fear or hatred. Reach deep for generosity, compassion and new understanding.

March 13, Holi- Make art for equality:
The theme of Holi is equality, so today I will work on something to express my feelings.

March 14- Go to a rally:
Part of the weekly Resist Trump Tuesdays, put together by People's Action.

This Tuesday, with the GOP trying to repeal the Affordable Care Act before the end of the month, the theme is "GOP: Don't Take Away Our Health Care."

March 15- Refresher course:
I really like the web site Wall-of-Us; their mission is:

"To make it simply irresistible for Americans to become active participants in our democracy."

This week I took a brief civics lesson refresher on how a bill becomes a law, so I can better follow the debate about the new health care bill. I read this 2-page Legislative Process 101 document, and also looked up my district in this report prepared by Congressional staffers to understand how the AHCA would impact my district.

March 16- Read about policy:
I plan to study this New York Times article: Educators Prepare for Immigration Agents at the Schoolhouse.

"Since 2011, Immigration and Customs Enforcement has had a policy regarding what it calls “sensitive locations,” including schools, health care facilities and houses of worship, where enforcement actions “should generally be avoided,” according to Carissa Cutrell, a spokeswoman for the agency, which is under the Department of Homeland Security. The policy remains in effect, she said."

The general tone of the article, though, is mistrust of what the government might actually do, which makes sense to me!

March 17, St. Patrick's Day- Work in the garden:
In Ireland, St. Patrick’s Day is the traditional day to plant peas and potatoes (or so some people say). I've got the potatoes, so I'm going to plant them today, and I'll put in another row of peas, too.

March 18-


March 19- Journal and Pray:
What has my experience of fasting been so far this Lenten season? 
What insights have I had? 
Spend an hour in prayer; pray for all those people who are suffering or afraid. Pray that we might all be respected and respectful, and live without fear or hatred. Reach deep for compassion and new understanding.

March 20, Equinox- Spring Cleaning:
It's going to be a busy week, so today I will stay home and clear out some clothes and other things I no longer need to donate to a thrift store. 

March 21, Nowruz- Go to a rally:
Part of the weekly Resist Trump Tuesdays, this Tuesday's demonstration will focus on the recently released federal budget proposal, which slashes everything from environmental programs, to meal and heating support for low income Americans, to arts and research. 

The organizers encourages you to "pick your topic and come out and make your voice heard! Come be a show of force that we will continue to be vocal and visible until we get the leadership and the nation we deserve. Bring a friend and join the 100-150 people who gather, rally, and make our voices heard at the intersection next to the Courthouse every Tuesday."

March 22- Fundraiser for Occupy Medical:
Occupy Medical is a group of dedicated health care professionals and support personnel who believe health care is a basic human right that must be made accessible to everyone, regardless of ability to pay. They decided that the most effective way to reach those in need was to create a free mobile medical clinic.

Tonight Oakshire Public House will donate $1 of every beer sold to Occupy Medical.

March 23- Go to a benefit dinner for Community Supported Shelters:
Our table won the cake at top center right.
CSS is a local organization that helps homeless people to live with safety and dignity. They organize volunteers to build Conestoga huts and also manage four rest-stops which they call Safe Spots Camp Communities.

Tonight I will attend their annual dinner to raise funds for the year. I'm not a big donor but I give what I can.


March 24- Write a letter:
This week at the Tuesday rally I picked up a postcard from "Take Action!" addressed to my state representative, and today I wrote him a note to encourage him to be strong on corporate tax reform.

March 25-


March 26- Journal and Pray:
What has my experience of fasting been so far this Lenten season? 
What insights have I had? 
Spend time in prayer; pray for all those people who are suffering or afraid. Pray that we might all be respected and respectful, and live without fear or hatred. Reach deep for compassion and new understanding.

March 27, New Moon- Mini-Retreat:
It's Spring Break, and I have the week off from teaching. Today I want to spend time reading, meditating, and writing about the directions life is taking me.


March 28- Go to a rally:
Part of the weekly Resist Trump Tuesdays, this Tuesday's demonstration will focus on Celebration!
"Tuesday noon rally at the Federal Court House 405 E. 8th is a CELEBRATION that the ACA was NOT REPEALED – we will have COOKIES! We also need to keep the pressure on that Gorsuch is not confirmed as Supreme Court Judge and that the Russian ties to this administration are made public! Let’s have a GREAT turnout! See you there!!!"


I had a great time last week with my friends, waving a sign and talking politics and wedding plans.

March 29- More celebration:
I really like the web site Wall-of-Us; their mission is:

"To make it simply irresistible for Americans to become active participants in our democracy."

This week I took some time to look over the BRICK-BY-BRICK PAGE of things that our actions have prevented or helped to happen.

"It's working people. So many ugly things have been stopped by the big, beautiful Wall-of-Us! Here's proof. So take a moment for a "high-five" and then let's get back to building."

March 30- Go to a Talk:
Soraya Deen will address the City Club at noon on March 30, at the Wildish Theater. Her presentation is entitled. “Muslims in America: One Woman’s Story”. Ms. Deen believes it is of utmost importance today to give power and place to Muslim Women’s Voices. As they confront the Islamophobic movements that are spreading far and wide, they must confront the patriarchy and misogyny in our communities.


March 31- Meditate on prosperity:
Today Navratri continues with a focus on prosperity and creativity. I plan to spend some time focusing on the world I want to create.

April 1, April Fools- Plan a good joke


April 2, Ching Ming- Journal and Pray:
What has my experience of fasting been so far this Lenten season? 
What insights have I had? 
Spend time in prayer; pray for all those people who are suffering or afraid. Pray that we might all be respected and respectful, and live without fear or hatred. Reach deep for compassion and new understanding.

Also, pray for my ancestors and all those who will come after me.

April 3- Teach a class:
Today I will teach a seven hour class on spring festivals from around the world, including Navratri, Ching Ming, Passover, Easter, and Songran. We will cook and eat together, make art, do a dance, read stories, and have a ceremony or two. I hope to share an experience of foreign cultures that will gently open young minds and hearts, and create the feeling that we are all one family.

April 4- Go to a rally:
Part of the weekly Resist Trump Tuesdays, this Tuesday's demonstration will focus on opposing Gorsuch.

April 5- Meditate on Truth:
Today is the last day of Navratri, and so I will spend some time opening to wisdom, peace, and Truth.

April 6- Educate myself on the proposed Federal Budget:
I really like the web site Wall-of-Us; their mission is:

"To make it simply irresistible for Americans to become active participants in our democracy."

Today I read about Trump's proposed budget (Oh my Goodness!) and watched these two short video's that explain it very well:

1. Trump's Budget Explained. (5 minutes)
2. Bonkers Budget video (2.5 minutes)

April 7-

April 8- Go to a Talk:
Our Public Library is hosting a talk called "What's in a Label? A Community Conversation about Diversity and Racial Categories."

The gathering will address questions including "What are we describing when we assign racial categories to others and ourselves?" and "How can we use language to increase understanding and connection, and what are its limitations?"

April 9, Palm Sunday- Journal and Pray:
On Palm Sunday Jesus confronted the Roman domination of Jerusalem. I too am called to speak truth to power and put my faith into action.
Where do I see domination systems today?What are my intentions for facing them with peaceful actions?

Spend time in prayer; pray for all those people who are suffering or afraid. Pray that we might all be respected and respectful, and live without fear or hatred. Reach deep for compassion and new understanding.

April 10, Passover- Write about freedom:
Passover is about freedom from slavery, oppression, and confinement, but Judaism defines true freedom as the ability to express who you really are. If something in my heart and soul has not had the opportunity to be expressed, then I am not yet free.

Today I will contemplate and write about what freedom means to me.

April 11- Go to a rally:
Part of the weekly Resist Trump Tuesdays, this Tuesday's demonstration will focus on asking President Trump to "Release Your Taxes".

April 12- Write a letter:
I really like the web site Wall-of-Us; their mission is:

"To make it simply irresistible for Americans to become active participants in our democracy."

April 13, Maundy Thursday- Show Love:
Maundy is an English word that comes from the Latin mandatum, referring to the new commandment that Jesus made on that night: 

“A new commandment I give to you, that you Love one another. As I have loved you so you must love one another.” (John 13:34).

April 14, Good Friday-

April 15, Great Saturday-

No comments:

Post a Comment