September 5, 2026

Saturday of Waning Energy

Saturday is my one day alone in the house, and I try to make it a day of peace and flow, but it also ends up being a day to finish my priorities.

And I'm still in third quarter yang moon energy time for reciprocity, generosity, collaboration and connection; a final time of action before the next moon cycle.

Agenda:
1. Read "Your Heart Was Made for This"
2. New narrative for wisdom
3. Evaluation journal

1. Read "Your Heart Was Made for This":
I'm reading this book by Oren Jay Sofer (2023), with the subtitle, "Contemplative Practices for Meeting a World in Crisis with Courage, Integrity, and Love". It has 26 short chapters on innate qualities we each have, that we can cultivate and develop as inner and external expression, meant to be read and practiced in order, one every 1-2 weeks.

Part One explores six core qualities, and the 6th is Wisdom, when contemplation breeds insight and we are able to slow down, to navigate with integrity and vision. Wisdom brings clear discernment, and understanding of how suffering arises and ceases. "With wisdom, we awaken to our inner life and outer reality. We see how social, economic, political, and historical conditions affect us, how they function in our hearts and how to create new possibilities for freedom." 

This section is mostly about how clinging and resisting creates a kind of internal suffering. Not all clinging or resistance leads to suffering - we hold on to our aspirations and commitments; we resist the forces of hatred and greed. "With careful attention and investigation, we can discern when holding on or resisting is connected to our integrity and wisdom and likewise when it is rooted in reactivity, ignorance, and profound suffering."
 
Some of the conditions needed for cultivating wisdom: Relaxation, curiosity, mindfulness, and concentration. "You can develop wisdom by being mindful of your intentions, your actions, and their effects." Wisdom is a felt knowing of the difference between empowered and helpful intentions and self-righteous, harmful ones. Wisdom also connects us to collective experience, and helps us understand and grow past our ignorance, unrealistic standards, privilege and bias. "Inner choices of attention intertwine with outer awareness and action."

Reflection: Choose a social issue that I feel strongly about, and begin to acknowledge thoughts and feelings as they come and go, with curious attention. What messages have I internalized? How can I develop more insight into suffering here? What I trying to control, resist, or cling to? What skills and resources can I offer and who can I learn from?

Embodying wisdom: Begin to analyze the felt tone of my intentions and ask, is this leading to peace or to stress? Bring this same scrutiny into my conversations and daily actions, as I am acting or later, in reflection.

2. New narrative for wisdom:
One of my weekly Creative Perspective tasks is to define a new narrative, today for the habit of wisdom.

This week I intend to embody wisdom by noticing the felt tone of my words and actions, and move closer to an intention of peace and kindness.

3.  Evaluation Journal:
Today I get to reflect back on the first 3/4 of the Hungry Ghost Moon lunar cycle that I'm passing through. My theme has been Balance and Flow.

I begin by looking at the intentions and priorities I set at the new moon:
 I ask myself, 
What lessons have I learned in the last weeks? What has been completed and accomplished? What is unfinished? What has shifted? and what can I set aside? 

I sit with these queries and write in my journal in a reflective way - my insights, emotions, and the clarity I’ve gained during the last lunar month and how I’ve grown. I m
ake a list of things that need attention. 
This reflection will prepare me for moving forward with grace and purpose.

Journal: My focus on flow has been generally productive, but I still struggle with expectations of accomplishing my priorities vs. flowing with my energy level. Things I have not accomplished / completed: Nature classes, front-of-house painting, watercolor illustrations, plant sign, earth coat sleeves, studio clearing, and new slate.

No comments:

Post a Comment