December 7, 2016

Create Peace and Unity

My theme for this week of Advent is "Striving to find unity and peace with all the people of the world".
It's always my intention to work to create the conditions of peace - justice, equality, and freedom- in my family and community, but this year that feels imperative; it feels so important that I think I might even be moved to action! 

This week I challenge myself to get clearer on what I am called to do, and take some first steps.


Agenda:
1. Do some research:
I have a couple of areas I am led to understand better:

First, I've been following what is going on at Standing Rock, making small monetary contributions, and sending friends off with supplies. On Sunday I was part of a large prayer circle vigil for the Water Savers that turned into a celebration, as the news came that the pipeline construction is halted. I want to keep an eye on this issue.
Large circle at the candlelight vigil / celebration on Sunday

And second, I want to understand better the threat to farmworkers and other undocumented workers in my community. Many of the school children I teach are in that population, and I want to be aware of what they face in the days ahead.

I read an article about immigrant forestry workers, and signed up for a newsletter from Huerto de la Familia (The Family Garden), a local group that offers Latino families a place to grow their own food, and training in organic gardening, small scale farming and small business creation. 

I'm also following the Human Rights Commission this week, as they decide whether to declare our city a Sanctuary City; this refers to cities that help shield undocumented residents from deportation by refusing to fully cooperate with detention requests from federal immigration authorities. 

2. Choose First Steps:
I'm a shy person- not an activist- but I find I can't stay quiet right now. Here is what I am doing--

1- I signed up for wall-of-us, which will send me
FOUR CONCRETE ACTS OF RESISTANCE DELIVERED TO MY INBOX EACH WEEK

2- I have joined my local group of SURJ (Standing Up for Racial Justice) on Facebook, which organizes white people to work for racial justice. I plan to continue to attend as many SURJ events as I can.


3- I plan to attend the Women's March in my state, on Inauguration Day, January 21. I am excited by the idea of standing with a large group of women, for equality and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment