December 29, 2016

Kwanzaa- Day Four

The fourth day of Kwanzaa is dedicated to the principle of ujamaa (oo-JAH-maah), cooperative economics- the idea that when we all work together, we all profit. Cooperative economics encourages us to meet our common needs by chipping in together. Imagine a world where everyone shares their wealth (even our government) and uses our economic strengths to make the world a better place!

On this day of Kwanzaa, I pledge to support community businesses, neighborhood stores, and local artists, and to boycott businesses that take from my community and give nothing back. Also, I remember that I need to share my wealth within my family and community, and respect the work done by others by compensating them fairly.

Ujamaa is about generosity and integrity, sharing what I have- money or food or time, and weighing carefully the pros and cons for the community before buying things.


1. Journal:
How can I put my money and energy to the best possible use in the service of the community?What resources do I have that I could share?
What changes could I make in my buying habits?

2. Kwanzaa ceremony:
I light the black candle and the purple, the inside red candle, and the inside green candle, plus another red candle. Then I recite this affirmation-
I will be generous with my resources, and have integrity with my buying habits.

3. Cooperative economics project:

Make a donation of time or money to a local charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment