December 28, 2016

Kwanzaa- Day Three

The third day of Kwanzaa is dedicated to the principle of ujima (oo-JEE-mah), which is collective work and responsibility. Ujima is teamwork, working together for others and helping my neighbors.

Collective work and responsibility reminds me of my obligation to my community, society, and world, and to the past, present and future. Imagine if all my actions flowed from the actions of those who came before me, and were considerate of all those who will come after me! That would be a life of great integrity and compassion!

Ujima creates synergy- creative cooperation, open-minded teamwork, and the adventure of finding new solutions to old problems. We each bring all of our personal experience and expertise to the table, and join together to produce far better results than we could as individuals.

Agenda today:
1. Journal:
What are my responsibilities for my world? 
What things can I do in the New Year to actively help my family, my community, and my society to solve our problems?
How might I create situations for synergy and creative teamwork?

From my Journal: 2017 is my "Year of Synergy"! I have a great desire to work in my community in new ways: I am helping to develop a dog park in my neighborhood, attending meetings of the City Bicycle Advisory Committee, going to SURGE meetings, and going to the Women's March in Portland. I want to be a small part of the effort to make our world better.

2. Kwanzaa ceremony:
I light the black candle and the purple again, the inside red candle, and the inside green candle- for the earth, the young people, and the new ideas they bring. Then I recite this affirmation-
I will help my family and community solve problems by working cooperatively.

3. Creative cooperation paper dolls:
I want to make these paper dolls someday. The dolls are linked in a circle and they only stand with cooperation.

No comments:

Post a Comment