December 30, 2016

Kwanzaa- Day Five

The fifth day of Kwanzaa is dedicated to the principle of nia (NEE-ah), which is purpose. Purpose allows me to dream of the best future, to look within and set personal goals that are beneficial to me, my family, and my community.

Agenda:
1. Journal:
Two days left of 2016; it's time to see it out, and welcome in the New Year! This is an introspective time- standing at the door of the year, looking backward and forward. It's my habit to reflect on the past and also to ponder the year ahead- consider my true purpose, envision hopes for myself, and resolve to improve my way of life.

Today I will write a summery of the past year- the general tone, highlights, good memories and bad memories, friendships, challenges, successes, and adventures; also, write about my purpose, my life mission, and my intentions for the year ahead-

What are my hopes for the future? 
What might give my life more wholeness? 
What are my next steps in life?
Imagine accomplishing my goals; how do they benefit my family and community?

2. Finish old business and prepare for the New Year:
This is the traditional time to complete and tie the old year closed in order to allow the New Year to start fresh: Finish old projects and old business, pay debts, make apologies, call neglected friends, and return borrowed items.

My list is short this year:
  1. Visit one or two friends.
  2. Send a few final cards.
  3. Prepare for next week's art classes.
  4. Send a challenge letter to Geico. 
3. Make New Year's resolutions:
Make important New Year’s resolutions that speak to my purpose. Tips: 
  • Start early: If I wait until the last minute, my resolutions will be based only on my mind-set that particular day. 
  • Be realistic. Set small, clearly defined goals that will be possible to accomplish. Also, limit the number to two or three at the most.
  • Make a plan: Consider how I will stick to it. Experts say it takes about 21 days for a new activity to become a habit, and 6 months for it to become part of my personality.
  • Talk about it: Don't keep my resolutions a secret. Tell at least a couple people what I am planning, and ask if they will check up on my progress.
  • Write about my motivations: A few weeks in to the New Year it will be very helpful to read and remember why I thought these resolutions were such a good idea. 
4. Kwanzaa ceremony:
Today I light the black candle and the purple, 2 inside red candles, and 2 inside green candles. Then I recite this affirmation-
I have great hope, and a reason for everything I do. I will set goals that add to the good and beauty of the world.

5. Purpose project: 
I like to make my goals visible, so I made this collage postcard of my resolutions to pin to my bulletin board.

No comments:

Post a Comment