November 11, 2015

Diwali and New Kindly Moon

This is the start of the five day Hindu Festival of Diwali, which falls on the new moon of late October or early November. Diwali is the festival of good luck and prosperity- one of the most important festivals of the year for Hindus. People wear new clothes, clean and decorate their homes, go to fairs with music, dancing, fireworks, jugglers and snake charmers, and give gifts to each other.























It's also the night of the new moon. The Chinese call this tenth new moon the Kindly Moon. In China, this is winter crop planting season, and this month brings the first “little snow” which gently (and kindly) moistens the winter wheat seedlings. We don't have snow yet, but the rains are moving in.

Agenda for today:
1- Journal:
Where do I need more kindness in my life (kindness to self, others, nature, the universe...)?
What might give my life more wholeness?
What are my next steps in life?

The new moon is my monthly time for “seeding” intentions. I write down what I hope to focus on in the next 30 days or so, and then give my ideas a period of gestation, like seeds in the soil, before I take action. Having this regular time each month to focus my goals has helped to give me clarity of purpose.

List my intentions for the next month in these areas-

Self, Friends and Family, Teaching, Artwork, Writing, Home and Garden, Business, and Volunteer work.

2- New Moon Meditation:
Diwali is dedicated to Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth and prosperity, Today I light a small white candle, center, and feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life. 

Remember: Prosperity is a sense of peace and well being within, enough money to pay my bills on time, and the support I need to make my dreams come alive.

3- Plan:
As the moon waxes, I expand-- plant seeds, make connections, and begin new projects. Today I will plan my first small steps.


4- Make diya lamps:
The word Diwali is short for Deepavali, which translates into "row of lamps"; people set out hundreds of small diya lamps filled with oil for this festival, to celebrate the triumph of good over evil. 

A diya lamp is easy to make- you will need a little bit of self-hardening clay. Form a small egg-shaped container, with a shallow bowl, and a lip to hold the burning wick. 

When the clay is dry, twist a wick from half of a cotton ball, and fill the bowl with a bit of vegetable oil. It will burn for quite awhile.

And here is my first ever video tutorial (in 2 parts)!

     


5- Make a Rangoli:
To prepare for Diwali, Hindus clean and decorate their houses with flowers and tinsel. They also paint designs on the ground in front of the door of the house, as a sign of welcome to Lakshmi. 

Floor painting is an art handed down from mother to daughter in India. Many women make designs every morning, by sprinkling white or colored rice flour with their fingers- rice flour is thought to have protective power. The artist starts her painting with a period of meditation and works in a prayerful way. 
We drew designs on the front porch with chalk and rice flour. Floor paintings are very temporary since walking feet, wind, and rain will soon turn them to dust.

6- Make Almond Katli:
On Diwali, Indians also give gifts to each other, especially big trays of candy! Almond Katli is a traditional Diwali sweet, and it’s pretty easy to make. It's like almond fudge or marzipan- sweet and yummy.

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 c. sliced almonds
  • 1-1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/4-tsp. cardamom powder
  • 1-Tbsp. ghee or oil
(Yield: 20 pieces)

1- Measure almonds and grind in a food mill. Set aside.


2- Oil a cookie sheet and set aside.








3- Put 6 Tbs. water into a saucepan, and add sugar and cardamom powder. Heat until the sugar is dissolved, then bring to rapid boil.

4- As soon as sugar begins to boil, remove from heat and add the almond powder. Mix well to break up the lumps, then add ghee or oil.

5- Return the pan to the stove and cook again on medium until the batter becomes thick but is still liquid. 

(The first time I made this it got stiff and when cooled it shattered into bits. The second time I poured it out too soon and it didn't hold it's shape, so I put it back in the pot and cooked it a minute longer-- success! It was just right.)






6- Transfer batter to the pan and use a spatula to turn it and knead it to get a smooth dough.







7- When it's done, shape it into a rectangle. Cut into diamonds with a pizza cutter and decorate each piece with an almond slice.





7- Make a Puja:
A puja is a ritual of reverence or celebration. At Diwali, I add some coins to my altar, and light a diya to welcome Lakshmi. 

Then I focus on my idea of prosperity, and chant-
  • Om - the primordial sound 
  • Shreem -  from which beauty and feminine energy emanates
  • Ma-ha - great
  • Lak-shma-yai - goddess of wealth
  • Na-ma-ha - I pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment