October 19, 2017

Diwali and New Chrysanthemum Moon

The Chinese call this ninth new moon the Chrysanthemum Moon. The chrysanthemum is a symbol of long life and endurance because of its ability to withstand colder temperatures. According to Chinese scholars, it shows the virtues of one who can endure temptations and maintain grace.

This is also the start of the five day Hindu Festival of Diwali, which falls on the new moon of late October or early November. Diwali is the festival of good luck and prosperity- one of the most important festivals of the year for Hindus. On Diwali, people wear new clothes, clean and decorate their homes, go to fairs with music, dancing, fireworks, jugglers and snake charmers, and give gifts to each other.

Agenda Today:
1- Journal queries
2- Make diya lamps
3- New moon meditation and puja
4- Make almond katli


1- Journal queries:
Endurance- acrylic and collage on canvas.
The new moon is my monthly time for “seeding” intentions. I write down what I hope to focus on in the next 30 days or so, and then give my ideas a period of gestation, like seeds in the soil, before I take action. Having this regular time each month to focus my goals has helped to give me clarity of purpose.

What are the possibilities?
What might give my life more wholeness?
What would I most like to do in life that I'm not getting to?

List my intentions for the next four weeks in these areas- Self, Friends and Family, Teaching, Artwork, Writing, Home and Garden, Work/ Business, and Volunteer work.


2- Make diya lamps:
The word Diwali is short for Deepavali, which translates into "row of lamps"; people set out hundreds of small diya lamps filled with oil for this festival, to celebrate the triumph of good over evil.

A diya lamp is easy to make- you will need a little bit of self-hardening clay. Form a small egg-shaped container, with a shallow bowl, and a lip to hold the burning wick.

When the clay is dry, twist a wick from half of a cotton ball, and fill the bowl with a bit of vegetable oil. It will burn for quite awhile.

And for my first ever video tutorial look here.

3- New moon meditation and puja:
A puja is a ritual of reverence or celebration. Diwali is dedicated to Lakshmi, the goddess of wealth and prosperity, so today I add some coins to my altar, a small new moon candle, and a diya lamp to welcome Lakshmi.

I center, and feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life.

Remember: Prosperity is a sense of peace and well being within, enough money to pay my bills on time, and the support I need to make my dreams come alive.

I focus on this idea of prosperity, and chant-

  • Om - the primordial sound
  • Shreem - from which beauty and feminine energy emanates
  • Ma-ha - great
  • Lak-shma-yai - goddess of wealth
  • Na-ma-ha - I pray.
4- Make Almond Katli:
On Diwali, Indians also give gifts to each other, especially big trays of candy! Almond Katli is a traditional Diwali sweet, and it’s pretty easy to make. It's like almond fudge or marzipan- sweet and yummy.

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 c. sliced almonds
  • 1-1/4 c. sugar
  • 1/4-tsp. cardamom powder
  • 1-Tbsp. ghee or oil
Yield: 20 pieces-

1- Measure almonds and grind in a food mill. Set aside.



2- Oil a cookie sheet and set aside.









3- Put 6 Tbs. water into a saucepan, and add sugar and cardamom powder. Heat until the sugar is dissolved, then bring to rapid boil.






4- As soon as sugar begins to boil, remove from heat and add the almond powder. Mix well to break up the lumps, then add ghee or oil.


5- Return the pan to the stove and cook again on medium until the batter becomes thick but is still liquid. 

(The first time I made this it got stiff and when cooled it shattered into bits. The second time I poured it out too soon and it didn't hold it's shape, so I put it back in the pot and cooked it a minute longer-- success! It was just right.)





6- Transfer batter to the pan and use a spatula to turn it and knead it to get a smooth dough.





7- When it's done, shape it into a rectangle.


8- Cut into diamonds with a pizza cutter and decorate each piece with an almond slice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment