October 8, 2018

Indigenous Peoples Day and New Chrysanthemum Moon

Happy Indigenous People's Day! Some people celebrate the second Monday in October as Columbus Day, but many of us prefer to honor instead the people who were here in the Americas for centuries before Columbus "discovered" it. 

Many cities are finally making the name change official, adopting Indigenous People's Day to celebrate the people and their culture, and also to reflect on their ongoing struggles in this land. The celebration today includes powwows, drumming, dancing, Native American foods and crafts.



This is also the night of the new moon. The Chinese call this ninth new moon the Chrysanthemum Moon. The chrysanthemum is a symbol of long life and endurance because of its ability to withstand colder temperatures. According to Chinese scholars, it shows the virtues of one who can endure temptations and maintain grace.

Agenda:
1. Journal queries
2. New moon meditation
3. Set intentions
4. Make fry bread
5. Make a prayer stick

1- Journal queries:
Endurance- acrylic and collage on canvas.
The new moon is my monthly time for “seeding” intentions. I write down what I hope to focus on in the next 30 days or so, and then give my ideas a period of gestation, like seeds in the soil, before I take action. Having this regular time each month to focus my goals has helped to give me clarity of purpose.
What is my true purpose? 
What might give my life more wholeness? 
What are the big questions or themes I want to pursue? 
What is my wish for all the people of the world?
List my intentions for the next four weeks in these areas- Self, Friends and Family, Teaching, Artwork, Writing, Home and Garden, Work/ Business, and Volunteer work.

From my journal: This weekend I met a family from Columbia, living in sanctuary in our country. The father pointed out that we call ourselves Americans, but America is two continents, not one country. He though that he was safe here, but now he no longer feels safe. 

My wish for all people is that they might live without fear, with safety, security, peace and goodwill.


2- New moon meditation:
  • Light a small white candle. 
  • Center and reflect on safety and security. 
  • Feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life. 
  • Repeat this every morning until the candle is burned down.
3- Set intentions:
The new moon is my monthly time for “seeding” intentions. I write down what I hope to focus on in the next 30 days or so, and then give my ideas a period of gestation, like seeds in the soil, before I take action. Having this regular time each month to focus my goals has helped to give me clarity of purpose.

4. Make fry bread:
Traditional powwow food!

Ingredients:

  • 1 pkg. yeast 
  • 1/2 tsp. salt 
  • 1-1/2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1-1/2 Tbsp. oil
  • 4 c. flour
  • 1-1/2 c. vegetable oil for frying
Yield: 8-10 pieces-
1- Dissolve the yeast in 1-2/3 c. warm water for 5 minutes, then add salt, sugar, and oil.

2- Add flour to the liquid mixture 1 cup at a time, mixing with a spoon, until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. 

Knead on a floured board, adding more flour as needed, until smooth. Put dough in a greased bowl, cover with a towel and let it rise for 1 hour.


3- Heat oil in a cast iron skillet to 350ºF.

4- Remove dough from the bowl and divide into 8-10 balls. Roll or pat each to 1/2-inch thick circles or squares (or hearts or whatever!)


5- Drop the dough into hot cooking oil 1 or 2 at a time (don't over crowd). Cook for about 1 minute on the first side and less on the second side. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar-- YUMM.

5. Make a prayer stick:
A prayer stick is a southwest Native American tradition; it’s a stick made as a prayer or wish. 

Prayer sticks are decorated in many ways- sometimes painted, wrapped with strings, with feathers, beads and other objects attached; sometimes a small bag of sacred cornmeal is tied on.


Supplies: A stick (any size), wire, beads, string or yarn, feathers, glue

I often make prayer sticks with my art class students, but this year I made one by myself, and kept it pretty simple. 


1. I cut a stick from my apple tree and removed the leaves.

2. Then I lit a candle, put on my favorite Native American flute music, and  settled into a prayerful attitude. 

While I worked, I thought about my wish for all people:
Safety, security, peace and goodwill.

3. I strung some beads to form a peace sign, and wired it to the stick.

4. I tied on a duck feather and a crow feather, using a little glue to really secure them.
5. Then I planted my stick in my garden, with a silent prayer for all people.

No comments:

Post a Comment