February 14, 2019

St. Valentines Day

Saint Valentine was a third-century Roman Christian who died on February 14. The poet Geoffrey Chaucer and his circle probably invented many of the romantic legends about Saint Valentine, in the fourteenth century. 
Valentine made by a student of mine.
It became a custom after that for a man to write a romantic poem to send to his beloved on St. Valentine's Day. Very fancy paper cards, with lace and ribbons, became popular in the 1840's, and that custom expanded into sending cards to Mom and Dad, and friends of all kinds.

Agenda today:
1. Journal
2. Make Valentines
3. Practice optimism

1. Journal:
In what condition are my friendships?
With whom do I need to practice the virtue of generosity?
Who do I need to support with a gift of hope and optimism?

List the friends that I want to pay special attention to this month, those I feel distant from or whom I want to understand better and appreciate more; plan one small thing to do for each to nurture our relationship.

2. Make Valentines:
I like to make fancy valentines (instructions here), but this year I've been crocheting hearts, and giving them out. I found a free pattern at the Sewrella site. It's easy once you get the hang of the magic ring!

3. Practice optimism:
I started to give attention to virtue early this year (see My Year of Virtue) and this week I'm focusing on optimism. My goal is to try to expect the best from each day, sustain cheerfulness, and see challenges as opportunities. 

I decided to focus on optimism when I realized that it's connected to hope-- and when you begin to work on climate change it's best to surround yourself with people who have hope. I KNOW we are way past the point of an easy solution, but it doesn't help to sink into despair! I choose to believe that we will survive (or at least the earth will survive), and that part of the miracle we need is the hope and optimism of climate activists.

Optimism is a virtue of transcendence- it creates meaning and connections. This Valentines Day, I extend hope to those who are in despair, with my prayers, and my cheerfulness, and a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment