February 1, 2019

Imbalc

Me, adding greens to the Imbalc fire a few years ago.
Imbalc (pronounced Im-molc) is the Celtic Sabbat that falls between the winter solstice and the spring equinox. At this time we celebrate the "beginning of the end" of winter.

Imbalc means surrounding belly- the Earth Mother’s womb; soon the seeds in the womb of the earth will begin to swell and creative forces will begin to come alive in the world.

Agenda for today: 
1. Creativity Altar
2. Journal queries
3. Seed blessing ceremony
4. Make a Brigid's Cross
5. Make Irish seed cake
6. Housework
7. Have a fire
1. Creativity Altar: 
Imbalc is sacred to Brigid, the European and Celtic goddess of healing, crops, poetry, and creativity. As a sun goddess her powers are light, fire, inspiration, and vital energy: Wow! She’s one of my favorite images of the Spirit.

Brigid is the maiden aspect of the Great Goddess and so her color is white; her symbols are a sun-wheel, Brigid's cross, snake, and cock (herald of the new day). 

Today I made a special creativity altar for Brigid with:
  • a white candle- for light and purity
  • a Brigid's cross- for the sun and the seasons
  • a beaded snake- for healing and regeneration
  • a small bowl- for openness and inspiration 
  • and some of my garden seeds
2. Journal queries: 
At Imbalc, I write about my seeds of inspiration- those thoughts, dreams and ideas that are inside me waiting to grow into wise actions, sweet words, or beautiful things made by my hands.
What is waiting to bloom in me this year? 

I write each germ of inspiration on a tiny slip of paper, and roll it into a seed, then put these in the bowl on my altar.


3. Seed blessing ceremony: 
Light the candle on the altar, and ask the Spirit to bless the garden seeds, and also my seeds of inspiration. 
May they all grow well when the time is right.

4. Make a Brigid's Cross:
My cross has 40 pieces of straw. 
The Bridget’s cross is an ancient symbol of the sun and the seasons. It's hung by the door or in the rafters to protect the house from fire, which is always a threat in Irish houses with thatch roofs. 

Making a Brigid’s cross is one of the traditional rituals in Ireland to celebrate Imbalc and the beginning of early spring. At Imbalc or Imbalc Eve a new Brigid’s Cross is hung above the door, and the old one is burned in the hearth.

The crosses are usually made of rushes, which are abundant in Ireland. The one above was made of straw, and instructions are in this post. 

A few years ago I re-invented the crosses using pipe cleaners, and it was easy enough even for the six-year-olds in the group! Instructions for these are in this post.

Hang your Brigid's cross in the kitchen or over a door to protect from fire and evil.

5. Make Irish seed cake:
Celtic deities are not abstract but are a part of daily life; the fires of inspiration and the fires of the home and the forge are the same. 

I usually heat up the oven today to make an Irish seed cake.

6. Housework:
February is my time of clearing away the excess to make room for growth. Clutter might give me the illusion that I have important things to do, but it adds one more layer of chaos and confusion to my life.

Now that I've gotten the mold in my house under control I can concentrate on clearing surfaces, sorting the stuff on my shelves, and donating things I no longer need. This week I made a list of the biggest sorting projects I need to do, including the studio art supply shelves, kitchen food cupboards, old notebooks, and the filing cabinet.
 

Because we have been putting a new ceiling up in the studio, it's the biggest mess, so I began there.

7. Have a fire:
Bits of winter collected to burn.
On Imbalc evening we seek out bits of winter around the house and burn them in a fire. When our kids were young we hid things around the house-- old Christmas wrapping paper, some leftover wreath greens, last year's calendar... and had a fun search.

Imbalc 2017




We invited friends and family over for a fire tonight, and after we burn winter we will eat seed cake and snacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment