May 15, 2018

Ramadan

Tonight is the start of Ramadan, an Islamic holiday that marks the discovery of the Qur’an by the Prophet Muhammad. The Islamic calendar is totally lunar, so Ramadan begins a few weeks earlier each year, at the sighting of the thin crescent moon, hopefully at sundown tonight.
Sunset photo by Brayden
Ramadan is a month of blessing. By night, Muslims read the Qur'an, and celebrate the compassion of God with special prayers. 

By day, they give generously to charities, and observe the discipline of fasting: They eat an early morning meal before the sun rises, then eat and drink nothing until after sundown. The Ramadan fast includes abstinence from falsehood and anger, in words and in deeds. It's purpose is to help Muslims to develop self-discipline, a strong spirit, generosity, and empathy

Even though I don't partake in a fast, I observe Ramadan in this same spirit, renewing my relationship with God, and exercising self-discipline and generosity. I hope to build my empathy for Muslims as they observe their month-long fast


Agenda:
1. Celestial awareness
2. Sunset prayer
3. Practice intentional acts of kindness
4. Enjoy Iftar tomorrow night

1. Celestial awareness: 
Ramadan lasts from this crescent moon to the next crescent moon. It's not a seasonal holiday because it falls at a different season every year; I think of it as a celestial holiday. 

As part of my effort to have empathy for the Muslim's as they fast, I attempt to have a heightened awareness of the movement of the moon during this month, and each day's sunrise and sunset.

It takes special effort to pay attention to heavenly events. Muslims have the motivation of the fast, in which I am not partaking. I need to find creative ways to remind myself to be mindful. To help, I subscribe to a calendar ap that gives me a reminder on my phone. It also helps that my ducks need to be let in and out of the coop with the sunset and sunrise.


2. Sunset prayer:
I plan to observe a sunset prayer-time again during Ramadan. I'll go out on my back porch at sunset and chant one of the 99 names of God mentioned in the Qur'an.

I've made it my practice to pick a different one each year. This year I'll focus on the first name listed: Ar-Rahmaan, from the Arabic root r-h-m which means:
  • to have tenderness, gentleness, kindness
  • to love
  • to have mercy
  • to show favor and goodness
  • to have all that is required for beneficence
Ar-Rahmaan means, then, the One who is most kind, gentle, and loving, and whose endless, loving mercy is perfect and inclusive.

3. Practice intentional acts of kindness:
This month I'm going to make kindness a priority, and plan one intentional act of kindness to do each day. I've been collecting a list and here are my first week's ideas:

  • Call my mom.
  • Send a “just catching up” text to a friend.
  • Really listen and show interest when talking to a friend.
  • Leave quarters at the playground for a child to find.
  • Compliment the first three people I talk to today.
  • Fast from all criticism and complaints for an entire day.
  • Bake cookies for my kids.

4. Enjoy Iftar tomorrow night: 
The Ramadan fast is broken at sunset with a meal called iftar. I plan to eat a simple Turkish-style iftar meal with Ezogelin (EZ-oh gel-EEN) soup, flat bread, goat cheese, black olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, and dates. The soup is very tasty and filling.

Ingredients:


  • 1 onion
  • 2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • 2 Tbsp. tomato paste 
  • 4 c. chicken or beef stock
  • 3/4 c. red lentils
  • 1/4 c. bulgar
  • 1/4 c. rice
  • salt
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. dry or fresh mint
  • pepper
Garnish: 

  • 2 Tbsp. butter 
  • 1 tsp. mint 
  • lemon wedges 
  • red pepper flakes 

Yield: 4-6 servings-

1- Chop the onion and saute with olive oil for about 4 minutes, then add the flour and stir until bubbly, but not browned.


2- Mix the tomato paste with 2 Tbsp. water, add to the flour, and stir until well combined. 

3- Next, slowly add the broth while stirring constantly. Continue stirring the mixture over high heat until it comes to a boil.


4- Wash the red lentils, rice and bulgar together in a strainer until the water runs clear. Add them to the boiling soup. Add salt and spices, then reduce the heat and cover the pan. Simmer slowly until grains are very soft and the lentils fall apart- about 20 minutes.
5- For the garnish, melt butter in a small pan until just bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in the mint. Pour it into the soup, stir and serve with lemon wedges and red pepper flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment