September 13, 2018

Ganesh Chaturthi

Ganesha, the elephant-headed son of Shiva and Parvati, is one of the most beloved of all the Hindu gods. He is the god of wisdom, beginnings, and success. His birthday festival, or chaturthi, begins on the fourth day of this waxing moon and lasts for 10 days.

Hindus believe in one God who has many symbolic forms. Ganesha is worshipped as the Lord of Beginnings and the Lord of Obstacles, both of a material and spiritual order. He can remove obstacles, or he can place obstacles in the path of those who need to be slowed. 

I plan to use Ganesha as a focus for my meditation for the next 10 days
, give attention to my obstacles, and find a way forward through them.

Agenda for this week:
1.  Journal about my obstacles
2. Make a clay Ganesha
3. Make a Success Altar
4. Ceremony for beginning and success

1.  Journal about my obstacles:
I've been studying motivation, and how to manage my procrastination. I love this quote from Pablo Picasso:
“Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.”
My queries today:
What are my most important goals, and why are they important?
What obstacles am I encountering?

2. Make a clay Ganesha:
In Hindu tradition, one gains blessing and protection by making eye contact with the image of a god. For this reason, it is common to buy clay sculptures or plaques of your favorite gods. Terracotta Ganesha figures are sometimes very large. The potter makes them of thin slabs of clay, and presses carved stamps into the soft clay to make designs.

I made this plaque from self-drying clay many years ago. I don't have pictures of the process, but I'll describe it to you.

Supplies: Self-drying clay, slab roller or rolling pin, clay needle tool or sharp stick, cup of water or slip (watery clay), wooden clay tools, tiny mirrors, beads, shells

1) Use half your clay to roll out a slab. Draw a pattern for the base of your plaque, with a rounded top. Lay it on the slab, and cut around it with your needle tool, or a sharp stick.

2) Roll snakes of clay to form a canopy around the top, and a platform at the bottom. Score the bottom edge of the snakes, and the surface of the slab, with your needle tool. Brush a little water or slip on both surfaces, and press firmly into place. Use your finger or a clay tool to smooth the joint so it becomes one piece.

3) With the remainder of your clay, press out another thin slab, and cut out the elephant face and ears. Place it onto the background slab, over a small piece of crumpled paper, to give it a raised form. Score the edges, slip, and press firmly into place. Smooth the joint.


4) Add decorations: Incise lines with a stick or wooden clay tools, pencil tip, fork, etc. Make rosettes, flattened balls of clay with wedge-shaped designs pressed in. Inlay with mirrors, beads, shells, etc.

3. Make a Success Altar:
Every Hindu household has a puja room, a place to show honor to the Hindu gods and goddesses. I made an altar for Ganesha with objects to symbolize my wish for success this fall:
  • Ganesha plaque-- the image of wisdom, beginnings, and success.
  • a bell-- to center my attention.
  • red flowers and a red candle-- for courage, strength and grounding. (Red is Ganesha's favorite color.)
  • sandalwood incense-- to calm, clear stress, and awaken intelligence.
  • a bowl with candy-- Ganesha loves sweets! He holds a candy in his trunk to remind us to seek the sweetness of the soul. My bowl has 10 pieces- one for each day of the festival.
4. Ceremony for beginning and success:
I hope to repeat this simple ceremony every morning this week, in order to give attention to the new start I am making this fall, and the successes I hope to achieve.
Sit comfortably, light the incense and candle, hold hands at heart, then close eyes and chant --
  • "Om"  -the primordial sound,
  • “Gam”  -the seed sound of Ganesh,
  • “Gah-nah-pat-a-yeh” -Ganesha, who is the remover of obstacles,
  • "Na-ma-ha" -I pray.
I repeat this chant as many times as I want, then stand up, ring the bell, bow with hands at heart, and say this prayer:
Namaste” (nam-es-tay), I honor you.hand over all my problems and questions to God the protector and guide
I pray that I may find the wisdom and courage to walk into my foggy future, through doors that open before me. I pray for success, without knowing what success will look like.
I end the ceremony by eating one candy to remind me of the sweetness of life. (And hopefully the bowl of candy will remind me to repeat the ceremony for nine more days!)

No comments:

Post a Comment