December 1, 2020

Advent Nativity Fast

Advent is important to me, and I have many ideas to share. This first week of advent my theme is to "Cherish and care for the earth". A vegetarian diet is better over all for the planet, so this week I've started a Nativity Fast.

The Nativity Fast is the Orthodox Christian way to experience the waiting which is Advent. Instead of “pre-celebrating” Christmas, they have a 40-day period of fasting, prayer, charity, and love, beginning on November 15th. (I wait until AFTER Thanksgiving!)

Besides fasting, the practice includes also prayer, charity, and love. 

Agenda Today:
1- Advent Prayer
2- Mini-Nativity Fast
3- Make Revithia Soupa (Chickpea Soup)

4- Donate to Friends of Trees

1. Advent Prayer:
May all I say and all I think
be in harmony with thee,
God within me,
God beyond me,
maker of the trees.
— Chinook prayer, Pacific Northwest Coast
2. Mini-Nativity Fast:
According to many people, raising animals for food produces more greenhouse gas emissions than all of the cars, planes, and other forms of transportation combined. Other studies indicate that it's more complicated then that, and depends on where your vegetables come from. 

But I do believe a vegetarian diet is better, over all, for the planet; I just haven't yet been able to give up meat on a regular basis! At advent, though, I adopt the Orthodox Christian tradition of a Nativity Fast, and eat vegetarian a little more often than not. (I'm calling it a mini-fast, because I'm not very strict with myself.)

The Orthodox Church teaches that Advent represents the time before Jesus‚ when the people were disconnected from God. Advent is our chance to experience this loss and disconnection in order to embrace and celebrate the joy of Jesus’ birth in its fullness.

During the fast, Orthodox Christians eat less then normal, and avoid meat‚ cheese‚ eggs‚ fish and wine on most days. They keep a primarily vegan diet, without being strict about it- the spirit of the practice is more important than what is actually eaten. 

I plan to eat vegetarian as much as I can this week, and into next week.
3. Make Revithia Soupa (ρεβιθόσουπα):
Tonight I'm going to make this traditional Greek vegan soup. Revithia means chickpeas; the stock is creamy and lemony- delicious!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cans chickpeas
  • 2-3 large carrots
  • 2 stalks of celery
  • 1 large onion
  • 3 tsp. salt
  • 1-1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 4 dried sage leaves
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 c. olive oil
  • 1 c. parsley or kale
  • 4 large thyme stems
  • 2 Tbsp. flour
  • lemon wedges
Serves 4-5-

1. Chop carrots, celery, and onion (you can add any veggies you like-- this year I added cauliflower). Chop the parsley or kale (I like the flavor of kale better).














2. Combine chickpeas, 5 c. water, and chopped veggies in a soup pot. Season with salt and pepper, sage, and bay leaves. Simmer for 20 minutes.

3. Add the olive oil and stems of thyme. Stir well.


4. Remove 1 cup of hot broth into a small bowl. Add 2 Tbsp. flour to the bowl of hot broth and stir until completely dissolved. Add broth back to the pot and stir well to incorporate. 



5. Continue to cook for 10 more minutes. Remove the sage, bay leaves, and thyme stems before serving. 

Serve with a wedge of lemon to squeeze into the bowl - the fresh lemon takes the soup to a whole different level!

4. Donate to Friends of Trees:
My family planting trees for Friends of Trees.
Love is one of the practices that Orthodox Christians subscribe to on this period of fasting, and I can totally embrace that! This week I've been looking for ways to show my love for this earth we live on, and I decided to donate to Friends of Trees - a local group that plants trees all over town and also cares for them. AND they have bike crews that do everything from bikes! (My grandson is the newest member of Friends of Trees.)

No comments:

Post a Comment