February 15, 2021

Nirvana Day

Today is Nirvana Day, the celebration of Buddha's death at the age of 80, at around 487 BCE. It's celebrated in East Asia on February 15th, or on February 8th by some.

Buddhists celebrate the date of the death of the Buddha, because death is when the soul is released from the body to experience Nirvana. The word Nirvana means "to extinguish", but it's really more of a transformation to a new kind of existence.

Nirvana is usually described as a state of bliss or peace, and a release from all physical suffering. The Buddha taught that Nirvana was beyond human imagination, and so speculation about what Nirvana is like is considered by some to be foolish.

Agenda for today:
1. Journal queries
2. Remember my intentions 
3. Read the Buddha's teachings
4. Open to uncertainty
5. Bodhisattva practices
6. Eat a Buddha bowl

Agenda:
1. Journal queries:
Now the moon is waxing - getting larger - until it's full again. During the waxing moon, energy remains high; I focus on persistent action, and find the motivation to accomplish my priorities and follow through with my intentions: I gather information, study, create, and exercise. 

Today, at the waxing crescent, I give attention to my level of energy, and take the first steps to act on my priorities.

What are my top priorities for action this week? Are these priorities truly leading me on the right path?
Is my energy really growing? Where do I feel resistance to action? What information or help might I need to ease the way?
What are my first steps? Do I have supplies to gather or calls to make?

2. Remember my intentions:
The first step towards giving full effort to my priorities is attention; I want to remember my deepest, most essential, most passionate reasons for acting on my intentions, every day, and hold my intentions with gentle awareness all day long. 

I use several strategies to give attention to my intentions:
  • I review my intentions first thing in the morning, turning my essential reasons into shorthand mantras. Today my mantra is: 
    • Study anti-racism; determined to change.
    • Stay calm; heal the world.
    • Embrace ambiguity; create peace.
  • Later I will take my intentions for a walk and speak them out loud to the trees.
  • I have a grid of my priorities on my phone that charts out the one's I intend to act on each day, and I check it often to motivate myself to complete one more important action.
Remembering my intentions throughout the day is a mindfulness practice; it creates energy and excitement for my priorities, but I have to take care to hold my intentions gently, not obsessively. If I begin to worry about completing my intentions, or think about them in an aggressive way, I try to back off a little. Even though I fully intend to take these actions, life sometimes shifts under my feet; and it is not my intention to feel self-loathing or anxiety.
 
3. Read the Buddha's teachings:
Nirvana Day is a time for contemplation of the Buddha's teachings. Some monasteries and temples hold meditation retreats. People visit and bring gifts of money and household goods to support the monks and nuns.

People often read passages from the Nirvana Sutra today, describing the Buddha’s last days of life. The message of this sutra is that all beings possess a "Buddha nature", and have the ability to reach enlightenment. This lines up well with the Quaker belief that there is "that of God" in each person.

4. Open to Uncertainty:
Buddha's last words were, "Behold, O monks, this is my last advice to you. All component things in the world are changeable. They are not lasting. Strive for your liberation with diligence." 

So Buddha says we are all marked by impermanence- all life is fleeting and changeable. I am not in control! I know this, of course, but emotionally I resist it every day. I cling to my past happiness and resist the pain of today.

My favorite Buddhist author, Pema Chodrin, has a book that's entirely about the impermanence of life called Comfortable with Uncertainty: 108 Teachings on Cultivating Fearlessness and CompassionShe says:
What keeps us unhappy and stuck in a limited view of reality is our tendency to seek security and avoid groundlessness, to seek comfort and avoid discomfort. ... Out there are all the planets and all the galexies and vast space, but we're stuck here in this cocoon. Moment after moment, we're deciding that we would rather stay in that cocoon than step out into that big space.
5. Bodhisattva Practices:
Pema Chodrin talks about training to be a Bodhisattva, a compassionate warrior who has generated enough love to reach nirvana, but remains alive to help others who suffer. A Bodhisattva enters challenging situations in order to alleviate suffering, and accepts that he or she can never know what will happen next. She says this not-knowing is part of the adventure.

So, how does one train to be a Bodhisattva? By cultivating the four limitless qualities of loving-kindness, compassion, joy, and equanimity. (Equanimity vs. reactivity is my biggest challenge!) 

First Bodhisattva Practices:
1. Say this slogan: “I accept the adventure of not knowing what will happen next!”
2. Observe: As I face daily encounters with unpredictability, notice my feelings of fear, irritation, confusion, defensiveness, worry, or disappointment- these are flags that show me when I am holding back from life. 
3. Break my pattern: Rather than resisting, try to perk up and lean in to the situation; embrace the uncertainty of the moment. Step out of my safety zone! Accept the situation, accept my emotions, and accept the people involved.
6. Make a Buddha Bowl:
A Buddha bowl is a complete vegetarian meal in a single-serving bowl. The name seems to be a fairly recent invention, but probably stems from the habit Buddhist monks had of carrying a bowl to ask for donations.

Buddha bowls are a combination of separate foods: A healthy grain, plus some plant proteins, and vegetables (raw and/or cooked) - all arranged with beauty, and usually served cold, sometimes with a sauce.

Today I made this Mediterranean Buddha Bowl with leftover veggies and roasted chickpeas.

Ingredients:
  • 1 c. brown rice
  • 1 can chickpeas
  • 1 Tbsp. olive oil
  • salt
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • veggies (I used tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers)
  • sauce (I used Italian dressing)
      1. Cook the rice as usual. I added a little cumin when it was nearly done.


      2. Preheat oven to 400ºF. Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then pour them out onto a baking sheet and dry them with a towel. Sprinkle with salt and curry powder, and roast until hot and a little crunchy.

      3. Cut the veggies into bite-sized pieces. I used leftover tomatoes, cucumbers, and peppers, and added some Italian dressing for them to marinade in.

      4. Build the bowl with rice on the bottom, chickpeas on one side, and veggies on the other, and pour a little of the marinade over just before eating.

      No comments:

      Post a Comment