January 3, 2018

Painting again


I am a painter- it's what I do. I took some time off from serious painting because I was working on Christmas projects. Now I'm ready to start again- I'm hungry, restless, and eager to paint-- but that doesn't mean it's easy to start. Starting is hard!

It's difficult to find my creative energy after a break- much easier to play some solitaire, or even clean the toilet.

Agenda:
1. Journal queries
2. Envision and hold
3. Schedule time and keep it sacred
4. Paint organically

1. Journal queries: 
What is the mystery that I want to express? 
What is the shadowy and bright life inside me that I need to create?
What "big truth" could I shine a light on?

2. Envision and hold: 
My traditional starting point is to choose a working theme to explore, or a title for a series-- this month that is "Mantra Series".

On Sundays, during my hour long Meeting for Worship, I often open myself to a vision of my next painting. What came to me this week was the word "Breath". When I asked "What does breathing look like?", I saw a pattern of ascending and descending angles.

Since then I've been holding that idea in my mental pocket, taking it out periodically to look at, shining it up a bit, and putting it back. My excitement is growing! 

3. Schedule time and keep it sacred: 
I have scheduled an hour and a half each morning for painting, but so far this week I have used that time for other things: Cleaning house, reading, doing a puzzle, and so on. 

Yesterday I started my Mantra series with the first tiny step- so small it didn't hurt at all: I painted a small board blue.

Today I see that blue board sitting on my cart, and I want to start adding some new layers!

4. Paint organically:
To "paint organically" means to let each painting spring from the last, to grow like a branch on a tree. In order to carry that off, I have to paint steadily, 5 - 10 hours every week, without breaks.



That's always how I get my best work, because it gives me a focus and momentum. I get to work deeply, explore many avenues, and get comfortable with the uncertainty and ambiguity of the art-making process.


"Breath" (Mantra series)- in process

I'm going to try to post weekly updates on my process, and how my painting "garden" is growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment