January 1, 2018

New Year's Day, 2018, and Kwanzaa - Day Seven, and Full Wolf Moon

Nearly full moon last night, just before midnight.
Today is the first day of a new year in my part of the world. I celebrate many beginnings throughout my year, but January 1 has emotional importance because it’s the New Year of my childhood.

The seventh and final day of Kwanzaa is dedicated to the principle of Imani (ee-MAH-nee), which is faith. On this first day of the New Year, I have faith in my ability to find unity and peace, and live with love and integrity. I also have faith that my people will do the best we can, and we will succeed in our struggle to create a just and beautiful world. And I have faith in the Spirit, that it will be open for me, and will sustain and guide me.


And tonight is the full moon! The full moon of January is called the Wolf Moon because of the hungry packs of wolves that used to roam for prey at this time of deep winter.

Agenda for today:
1. Journal queries
2. Kwanzaa ceremony
3. January altar
4. Grounding meditation
5. Set the tone for the New Year
6. Eat Hoppin' John
7. Practice at my theme

1. Journal queries:
January gets its name from Janus, the two-faced Roman God of gates and doorways. January is a month to look back with reflection and forward with hope. I stand at the doorway of this coming year with my mind open and curious, without fear or judgment, and with only mild expectations for the gifts that the year will deliver.

As I stand here, I remember that not all gifts are rosy. I thank the Spirit for the shadows and mysteries, and potent gifts of sadness. When I live in the reality of the moment more than in my hopes and expectations, I can receive the riches that are hidden within my most challenging experiences- the gifts of compassion, self-awareness, creativity, wisdom, patience, love, strength of character, and integrity.

What GREAT things do I want to accomplish this year?
How will I serve people?
What is the mystery that I want to express?
How do I wish to improve myself?
What are the current events or issues I want to study? 
What new skills might be useful?

From my journal: Last year I felt a great big push from behind, and the words "get active!" And I did that! I went to rallies and marches, wrote letters, and started serving breakfast and soup to the homeless. This year I will build on my momentum- I have a lot of faith in what we can accomplish, despite our governments efforts to leap backwards.

2. Kwanzaa ceremony:
I light the black candle and the blue again, for the people, saying this affirmation:
I will work in unity with those within and without my circle.

Then I light the inside red candle, saying-
I will define myself, create for myself, and speak for myself. I will accomplish my dreams for the future.

and the inside green candle, saying-
I will help my family and community solve problems by working cooperatively.

and another red candle, saying-
I will be generous with my resources, and have integrity with my buying habits.

and another green candle, saying-
I have great hope, and a reason for everything I do. I will set goals that add to the good and beauty of the world. 

and the last red candle, saying this affirmation-

I will use my creative talents and energies to aid young minds and hearts, and make my home and community more beautiful and vibrant.

and the last green candle, and say this affirmation- 
I believe with all my heart and mind in the Spirit that guides me, in myself and my people, and in the good of the work I do with and for the community. With faith, anything is possible!

3. January altar:
It's time to put away the Kwanzaa candles, clear my altar, and discern what to put on it for January. (For my thoughts on altars see About Altars). I generally keep it simple and choose only things that speak to me and feed me, and reveal what I believe in.

Today I arrange-
  • a blue candle- for stillness, thought, and study
  • a picture of a mountain- for stillness and meditation
  • a picture of a door- for Janus, the God of gates and doorways
  • a piece of quartz- for the purity of winter
  • pine cones- for potential growth and enlightenment
  • an empty bowl- to symbolize waiting with an open heart and mind 
  • my straw doll- for luck and protection
4. Grounding meditation:
Even with no wolves, winter is a scary time- I worry when my family travels in bad weather; I'm anxious about winter illnesses and overdue bills; and I feel vulnerable and unsettled by the violence and political goings on in the world.

I light the blue candle this morning, center myself, and then sit quietly and gaze at what I have created. The challenge is to look not at the things but through them to the Spirit; take the sacred space within and listen for messages. I open my heart to the energy of confidence and courage until I feel grounded, protected, and filled with determination.


Pray: "Great Spirit, I accept your sheltering energies into my life. May you bless and protect this home and all who live here. Fill my heart with courage, and open me to love."

5. Set the Tone for the New Year:
New Year’s Day is a chance to start fresh, with a clean slate: How I act and what I do today sets the tone for all the days that follow.

Tradition says, on New Year’s Day- be nice to each other and never punish children; wear your best clothing, and don’t work too hard. Many cultures also have a custom of visiting friends and relatives early in the New Year to share food and strengthen their bonds.

I plan to:
    • Be especially aware of my mood today, act loving and empathetic to everyone, and give attention to each conversation and experience.
    • Take an extra long walk today, to stretch my legs and visit my friends the ducks.
    • When I get home, I'm going to take a long bubble bath with a cup of tea, and read a good book- to encourage  my year to be restful and quiet.
    • I saw most of my local friends and family yesterday, so today I will visit with more distant family by phone.
    6. Eat Hoppin' John: 
    I will make a big pot of black-eyed peas and kale (delicious!)

    In many places legumes (beans, peas, lentils) and cooked greens (cabbage, collards, kale, or chard) are consumed at New Year's because they are symbolic of money; legumes resemble coins, and greens look like folded money. (This recipe comes from the American south.)

    Ingredients
    • 1-1/2 c. dried black-eyed peas
    • 1 ham bone
    • 2 stalks of celery
    • 1 onion
    • 1 green pepper
    • 1 large carrot 
    • 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
    • 2 cloves of garlic
    • 1-2 c. cooked ham, cubed
    • 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 2 tsp. fresh or dried thyme
    • 1/2 tsp. crushed red chili pepper flakes
    • salt to taste
    • 6-10 leaves of kale, collards, or beet greens
    Yield: Serves 6 to 8-

    1- Place black-eyed peas in a large soup pot over medium-high heat with the ham bone; cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until peas are tender, about 45 minutes.

    2- Meanwhile, dice the celery, onion, green pepper, carrot and jalapeno. Mince the garlic. Stem and chop the greens. Cube the ham.

    3- Heat oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Add ham, diced vegetables (but not the greens), red chilies, thyme, and bay leaf and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 8 minutes.

    4- Add black-eyed peas along with 2 c. of the cooking liquid (add more or less as desired), and the greens. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until greens are tender, about 1 hour.

    5- Remove the bay leaf. Add salt to taste. Serve with cornbread or biscuits. The more you eat the larger your fortune in the coming year!

    7. Practice at my theme:
    My theme this month is stillness. When I leave time in my daily routine for study, writing, meditation, and prayer, I honor the yin time of "being", which balances my yang times of action and doing. In the stillness, my ego disappears for a bit. I can then turn back to the outside world, seeing myself as a part of the whole rather than as an isolated individual.


    This month I plan to:
    • meditate every morning,
    • write in my journal, 
    • and stay informed on current events. 
    I've also collected some good books to read:
    • "Start Here" by Langshur and Klemp
    • "How to Meditate" by Pema Chodron
    • "The Book of Awakening" by Mark Nepo
    • and a couple of simple living books

    No comments:

    Post a Comment