December 31, 2017

Kwanzaa - Day Six - and New Year's Eve

The sixth day of Kwanzaa is dedicated to the principle of Kuumba (koo-OOM-bah), which is creativity. I can use my creative energies to build a beautiful and vibrant home and community.

And tonight is New Year's Eve- a big night for many people. W and I will celebrate with our children at my daughter's new home.

Agenda Today:
1. Journal queries
2. Kwanzaa ceremony
3. Finish my Intentions Poster
4. Make wassail
5. Wassail my apple tree
6. Make noise!

1. Journal queries:
What creative ideas do I have to improve my house, my relationships, the school I work at, my faith community, and my neighborhood?

Look at my intentions for the New Year from the perspective of an artist (that is, upside down). What does my crazy wisdom tell me?

2. Kwanzaa ceremony:
I light the black candle and the blue again, for the people, saying this affirmation:
I will work in unity with those within and without my circle.

Then I light the inside red candle, saying-
I will define myself, create for myself, and speak for myself. I will accomplish my dreams for the future.

and the inside green candle, saying-
I will help my family and community solve problems by working cooperatively.

and another red candle, saying-
I will be generous with my resources, and have integrity with my buying habits.

and another green candle, saying-
I have great hope, and a reason for everything I do. I will set goals that add to the good and beauty of the world. 

and the last red candle, saying this affirmation-
I will use my creative talents and energies to aid young minds and hearts, and make my home and community more beautiful and vibrant.

3. Finish my Intentions Poster:
I've been working all week on setting my goals for 2018 (I'm big on goals). Now I will finish making my big poster.
Clockwise from top left: Synergy, depth, stillness, strength, abundance, integrity, receptivity, joy. 
And balance is in the center.

Supplies: Foam core, oil or aqua crayons, paper, scissors, glue stick

I use the same black foam core board every year: It's divided into nine sections, like the guas in feng shui... it's odd, but it works for me! I filled each section with a background color many years ago, and now I just remove the pictures that I no longer need and add new ones for my new goals.

I get most of my pictures of the Internet, add my own words, cut and paste, and there it is.

4. Make wassail:
The wassail bowl is an old Gaelic tradition still observed in Scotland and Great Britain. The word wassail comes from the Old English wes hál, meaning to be whole, and it was a toast made at medieval feasts to welcome the guests. People would carry a bowl of hot cider or ale outdoors on New Year’s Eve to share with neighbors, and groups of wassailers would go door-to-door singing to get their bowls filled. Tons of different recipes abound, but I like this simple one:

Ingredients:
  • 1 quart of hard apple cider (or use non-alcoholic cider)
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar (I used less)
  • 2 sticks of cinnamon
  • 8 cloves
  • 8 allspice berries
  • apple slices
Yield: 4 servings-

1- Peel and slice the apples, and cut in thirds. Heat in the microwave for 30-45 seconds on high, to soften.

2- Combine all ingredients in a pot. Smash the apples to a pulp. Heat just to warm.

3- Strain directly into cups and serve warm. Save the last bit to pour onto an apple tree to ensure next year's crop.

5. Wassail my apple tree:
I really love my apple tree, and so sometime tonight I will probably slip out to toast it's health, pour some cider on it’s roots, and give it a "Hurra".

"Here’s to thee, old apple-tree,
Whence thou mayst bud, and whence thou mayst blow,
And whence thou mayst bear apples enow!
Hats-full! Caps-full!
Bushel, bushel sacks-full!
And my pockets full, too! Hurra!

6. Make noise: 
Noise-making is considered an effective way to drive off the spirits of the old year and awaken the sleeping new year. We will gather horns, bells, pots, pans, and whistles, throw open the door at midnight, count down the final seconds of the old year, then let loose with whoops and cheers, bangs and toots, to welcome in the New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment