December 26, 2017

Kwanzaa - Day 0ne

Kwanzaa is a seven-day African-American cultural holiday- an American holiday inspired by African traditions. The word kwanza is Swahili for “first”, as in "first fruits", because in some parts of Africa this is the season for first fruits harvest festivals. Kwanzaa is a time of thanksgiving for the earth, but also a time to honor ancestors, and a time for African-Americans to celebrate their heritage and learn about African traditions and values.

In fact, values are the main theme of Kwanzaa; Kwanzaa was created to introduce and reinforce seven basic values of African culture, called the Nguzo Saba, which in Swahili means the Seven Principles. All of us can benefit and grow by celebrating these principles.

The Kwanzaa principles focus on community because in African philosophy a true human is always a person-in-community; this is reflected in the African saying, "I am because we are" (a good counter balance for the Me First thinking of the American culture). 


When my children were younger, we celebrated Kwanzaa as a family, but now I celebrate mostly alone, and find creative ways to connect the activities to the various parts of my community.


Agenda:
1. Journal queries
2. Kwanzaa altar
3. Kwanzaa ceremony
4. Unity project


1. Journal queries:
The first day of Kwanzaa is dedicated to the principle of umoja (oo-MOH-jah), which is unity- the unity of working and playing together with my family and my community, in harmony.

What does unity mean to me? 
With whom do I need better unity? 
How can I help us find unity?

List some inspiring ways I could work towards better unity with my family, Quaker Meeting, school, neighborhood, and city community this year.


From my journal: I intend to keep helping the homeless folks that come to the Egan Center; I intend to argue less at home; I intend to join hundreds of other women at the January 20th Women's March in our town.

2. Kwanzaa altar:
Spread a straw mat- the mkeka (em-kay-kah)- to symbolize the foundation of tradition and history upon which all rests. Place an ear of dried corn on the mkeka for each child in the family, and also some fruits, vegetables, and nuts for the earth’s abundance.

Set up the kinara (key-nar-rah) with seven candles- three red, three green, and one black in the center.


3. Kwanzaa ceremony:
Today I light the black candle in the center of the kinara, showing unity with all people of African ancestry. I also light my blue unity candle from my advent wreath, in unity with all people of the world. 

Then I recite this affirmation-
I will work in unity with those within and without my circle.


4. Unity project:
My daughter and son-in-law are returning from their visit north today, with a load of furniture and boxes from storage. I expect we will all head over to their house when they arrive, to help move them in.

No comments:

Post a Comment