December 30, 2017

Kwanzaa - Day Five

The fifth day of Kwanzaa is dedicated to the principle of nia (NEE-ah), which is purpose. Purpose allows me to dream of the best future, to look within and set personal goals that are beneficial to me, my family, and my community.

2017 resolutions
Agenda:
1. Journal queries
2. Kwanzaa ceremony
3. Make New Year's resolutions
4. Make a resolutions postcard

1. Journal queries:
Two days left of 2017; it's time to see it out, and welcome in the New Year! This is an introspective time- standing at the door of the year, looking backward and forward. It's my habit to reflect on the past and also to ponder the year ahead- consider my true purpose, envision hopes for myself, and resolve to improve my way of life.

Today I will write a summery of the past year- the general tone, highlights, good memories and bad memories, friendships, challenges, successes, and adventures; also, write about my purpose, my life mission, and my intentions for the year ahead-

What are my hopes for the future? 
What might give my life more wholeness? 
What are my next steps in life?
Imagine accomplishing my goals; how do they benefit my family and community?
2. Kwanzaa ceremony:
I light the black candle and the blue again, for the people, saying this affirmation:
I will work in unity with those within and without my circle.

Then I light the inside red candle, saying-
I will define myself, create for myself, and speak for myself. I will accomplish my dreams for the future.

Then I light the inside green candle, saying-
I will help my family and community solve problems by working cooperatively.

and another red candle, saying-
I will be generous with my resources, and have integrity with my buying habits.

and another green candle, saying this affirmation-
I have great hope, and a reason for everything I do. I will set goals that add to the good and beauty of the world.

3. Make New Year's resolutions:
Make important New Year’s resolutions that speak to my purpose. Tips: 
  • Start early: If I wait until the last minute, my resolutions will be based only on my mind-set that particular day. 
  • Be realistic. Set small, clearly defined goals that will be possible to accomplish. Also, limit the number to two or three at the most.
  • Make a plan: Consider how I will stick to it. Experts say it takes about 21 days for a new activity to become a habit, and 6 months for it to become part of my personality.
  • Talk about it: Don't keep my resolutions a secret. Tell at least a couple people what I am planning, and ask if they will check up on my progress.
  • Write about my motivations: A few weeks in to the New Year it will be very helpful to read and remember why I thought these resolutions were such a good idea. 
4. Make a resolutions postcard:
I like to make my goals visible, so I made this collage postcard of my 2018 resolutions to pin to my bulletin board.

No comments:

Post a Comment