December 27, 2017

Kwanzaa - Day Two

The second day of Kwanzaa is dedicated to the principle of kujichagulia (koo-jee-cha-goo-LEE-ah), which is self-determination: Thinking for myself, and deciding what I will say and what I will do with my life. In other words, I won’t let the dominant culture decide how I live!

Self-determination requires me to understand who I am- personally, historically, and culturally. I need to know the history of my people and where I come from, so that I can live grounded in my past. My English, Welsh, German, Swiss, French, and Dutch ancestors have much wisdom and insight to offer me.

Agenda:
1. Journal queries
2. Kwanzaa ceremony
3. Update my intentions poster

1. Journal queries:
Even though I am white, and therefore a part of the dominant culture of this country, I choose to live outside many of this culture's conventions. I need to know what my personal Truth is, think for myself, and make my own choices for the future. I need to speak truth to power and live in a way that supports all humans.

Who am I and how do I define myself- personally, historically, and culturally? 
How do I express my individuality?

Begin to consider what my New Year’s resolutions might be... 

What dreams do I have for the New Year? 
What might I do in the New Year to better define myself?

2. Kwanzaa ceremony:
I light the black candle and the blue again, for the people, saying this affirmation:
I will work in unity with those within and without my circle.

Then I light the inside red candle for the fire in my heart that keeps me working hard for the things I believe in, and recite this affirmation-
I will define myself, create for myself, and speak for myself. I will accomplish my dreams for the future.

3. Update my intentions poster:
My Intentions Poster for 2017, organized into 9 sections--
Top- Synergy, Depth, Stillness
Middle- Joy, Balance, Strength
Bottom- Receptivity, Integrity, Abundance
Each year for my "Self-determination project", I work on a collage Intentions Poster-- a visual way to show my plans for the new year.

Today I plan to examine 2017's poster to see what I've accomplished- remove the items that I've finished or no longer need, and consider what I might like to add for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment