December 10, 2017

Third Sunday of Advent and Human Rights Day

We have made it through the second week of advent, and now the excitement is really growing! Unfortunately, excitement can often turn into feelings of pressure, worry, loneliness, disappointment, or frayed nerves.

This is a good time to give extra attention to the importance of friends and family, and find ways to support and comfort each other.



Also, it's Human Rights Day: The United Nations adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights on this day in 1948. Today the UN kicks off a year-long campaign to mark the upcoming 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

Agenda:
1. Journal queries
2. Advent wreath ceremony
3. Plan activities for family fun
4. Take the human rights pledge
5. Take action


1. Journal queries:
Am I paying enough attention to each member of my family?
Am I including them in advent in ways that they enjoy?
How can I connect better to my friends this week?


2. Advent wreath ceremony:
Tonight (and every night this week) we will light three advent candles, and recite three prayers:

"We light the first candle for the earth, which sustains us. May we cherish and care for it."

"We light the second candle for all the people of the world. May we find unity and peace."

"We light the third candle for our family and the joy and love we bring each other."

3. Plan activities for family fun:
Christmas past
I remember many joyful moments with my family in advents past- shopping together, writing cards, making cookies, putting up the tree, making gifts, or watching Christmas shows. 

Now my kids are grown and have partners, so I need to coordinate activities with two other households; it can be tricky, but it's fun to work it all out.

I look at each activity and project, decide whether I want to do it alone, or if I can reasonably negotiate help from my family, or if I want to turn it over for them to do on their ownI am happy to let go of some traditions and let my children take the lead- for example, they went yesterday with their partners to get trees, and we stayed home.

Things to do this week to open to joy and love:

  • Take care of myself so I can be calm and present for the spontaneous joy when it arises.
  • Take the time to consider what others- friends and family- want most this season. In other words, become less self-focused and more generous in all ways. 
  • Be respectful, patient, and kind (no matter how stressed  I feel).
4. Take the human rights pledge:

Your commitment to human rights:

I will respect your rights regardless of who you are. I will uphold your rights even when I disagree with you.

When anyone's human rights are denied, everyone's rights are undermined, so I will STAND UP.

I will raise my voice. I will take action. I will use my rights to stand up for your rights.



5. Take action:
Article 25 of the Human Rights Act says that you have a right to an adequate standard of living, "...to have what you need so that you and your family do not go hungry, homeless or fall ill. Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including foods, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control."

We've had an early spell of freezing weather for the last 10 days, and our many homeless people are at risk. I've been helping in a small way, cooking and serving soup at the one of the churches that provide over-night shelter on freezing nights. Tonight will be my 4th volunteer night.

No comments:

Post a Comment