March 11, 2019

2019 Lent calendar, Week Two

My theme for Lent this year is low-carbon living. I'm working on climate justice this year, so I want to get a better technical understanding of the best practical changes to make in my life.

At Lent I allow myself to be slow, simple, and thoughtful. I spend time each day in focused study and prayer. And I choose something to temporarily reduce or cut out of my life, as a reminder that what I truly need is the nurturing of Spirit. And I also observe Lent as a time of creative action, acting on what I learn.

    March 10, 1st Sunday of Lent and Forgiveness Sunday- 
    1. Journal queries: What have I learned so far from my Lenten fast and study? What is the next step to take?

    Ground myself in optimistic hope for the future, and become more open to the best actions to take.
      2. Offer and ask for forgiveness: A wise man said to forgive our neighbors even when they sin against us repeatedly, even until seventy times seven (Matthew 18:21-22). Tonight I offer this prayer:
      I offer forgiveness to those in this country who deny the science of climate change. I offer forgiveness to my neighbors who think it's not their problem, or don't have the energy to change their lifestyle. 
      And I offer forgiveness to myself for being so slow to take the time to study the issue and take action myself. 
      In offering forgiveness, I hope to be able to set down this burden of indignation and rage, and move on to mitigating the problems we have created.
      March 11, Clean Monday-
      3. Study low carbon-living: Read Chapter 4: Driving Down Emissions- from the book Cooler Smarter: Practical Steps for Low-Carbon Living, by the Union of Concerned Scientists
        For most people, transportation is the biggest producer of carbon emissions, but that's not true for us. We don't own a car, and our feet are our main form of transportation.

        The facts are that U.S. cars produce 1.6 billion tons of carbon dioxide and other bad gases per year, and that's about 45% of the world's automotive emissions, though we have only 5% of the world's population. Clearly, we should be ashamed!

        According to the book, we can reduce our emissions by:
        1. Buying a fuel efficient car.
        2. Driving less, including less air travel and less long-distance travel.
        3. Carpooling or busing.
        4. Keeping a well-tuned car, removing extra weight from the car, and avoiding idling.

        March 12- 
        4. Fasting: Week two- I've been fasting from Carbon, starting with not heating my office, as a reminder that I need to take bigger steps soon. It's been hard but effective, because my hands are so cold as I type-- it definitely makes me want to improve our insulation and storm windows before next winter!

        March 13-
        5. Make a banner: I've been balancing my study and fasting with creative action. I've got a great idea for a banner to attach to my bicycle, and I'm going to work on it today.

        March 14- 
        6. Watch videos from the Interfaith Earthkeepers site.

        March 15-
        7. Go to the Global Climate Strike.
        The kids are leaving school today, and they need our support!
        On March 15, along with 40 countries on all continents, we will create a Global strike For Future together! To show the Climate Crisis is a Crisis! If you’re an adult, we hope you’ll take the day off in solidarity with us too. There has never been a more urgent time to demand the climate action we all deserve.
        March 16-
        8. Read Stoic Philosophy: Socrates said that "nobody does wrong willingly", meaning that nobody thinks they are wrong, even when they are. We all figure out ways to rationalize and excuse our worst behaviors.

        The Greeks had a word for it- Amathia- which is often translated as ignorance, but is so much more. Amathia is lack of wisdom, the opposite of sophia. It's "not learning", even an unwillingness to learn, or dis-knowledge- or "intelligent stupidity"

        I know that my friends who drive cars aren't maliciously killing our planet; they just think it's the only option they have. They haven't fully analyzed it and they are convinced they’re doing a good job, the best job possible, for their set of circumstances. 

        It's a national amathia-- a dis-knowledge of how to live. I know from first hand experience that people with amathia can't be persuaded with a reasoned argument because they have accepted since they were very young this whole idea that autos are the only way to get around. 

        I can see no point in being angry about this- my anger won't change anything and will only make me feel frustrated and defeated. What people need is a spiritual awakening.


        Stoic teacher Epictetus said:
        “As we pity the blind and the lame, so should we pity those who are blinded and lamed in their most sovereign faculties. The man who remembers this, I say, will be angry with no one, indignant with no one, revile none, blame none, hate none, offend none.”
        People who suffer from amathia can't act right because they are blind to the truth. So, I will continue to model a different way of living, and work at feeling compassion for those who know not what they do.

        No comments:

        Post a Comment