January 5, 2021

Twelfth Night

The evening of January 5th is called Twelfth Night, the Eve of the Epiphany, the night that the three Magi traveled to Bethlehem to see the newborn baby Jesus. In Italy, the Befana (short for Epiphania) was busy sweeping her floor that night, when the Magi stopped at her house. They invited her to come along with them on their trip to see Jesus but she said she was too busy. 

Later she changed her mind and decided to follow, but she couldn’t find them. She continues her search each year on Twelfth Night, flying on a broom, going from house to house and leaving gifts.

Agenda:
1. Journal queries
2. Sweeping
3. Make Focaccia della Befana
4. Leave gifts

1. Journal queries: 
The Befana is the Spirit as Grandmother, aged and full of wisdom. She reminds me to pay attention to the path that lies before me, keep my priorities straight, and stay open to what each day offers. If I listen for the voice of the Spirit in the midst of my daily work and in my relationships, then I will see the road I need to travel.

Write about the road that lies before me. 
Where is it leading? 
What distractions do I face?  
How will I remember to keep my priorities straight?
2. Sweeping: 
Twelfth Night is usually when we take down our tree, but we have an outdoor tree this year. We do have lots of dry greenery to clean up, though.

Today I will dismantle my wreath and clear off the mantle shelf, and put all the dried greens in a paper bag in the garage, to save for the Imbalc fire on February 1st.

Also I will stow away the last of the Christmas decorations- I do a thorough search because anything left out is supposed to stay up all year!

Next I will carefully sweep up all the needles, dirt, and dog hair, working my way slowly through the house, sweeping each room, getting into the corners and under the furniture.

Christmas all swept up!
When I sweep on this day, I give attention to the feel of the broom in my hand and the sound it makes on the floor. 

Some people focus on “sweeping away negative energy” but I think about gathering my resources- past, present, future.

This attentive sweeping is how I honor Befana, and all my Grandmothers through the ages, who kept houses clean; and also it's how I remind myself to give full attention to the ordinary work of my life.

4. Make Focaccia della Befana:
This traditional Italian sweet bread is studded with candied orange rind.


(I made my own candied orange rind, following this recipe at Bright-Eyed Baker.)

The tradition is to put a little coin wrapped in aluminum foil inside the bread, and the lucky one who finds the coin will be fortunate in the New Year!

Ingredients:
  • 3-1/2 c. flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 pack dry yeast
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • zest of 1 lemon, minced
  • 1/4-c. unsalted butter
  • 1/3 c. milk
  • 1/2 c. candied orange rind
  • 1 egg + 1 tbsp milk, for egg wash
  • coin wrapped in foil
  • sugar pearls, to garnish
Makes 1 large or 3 small loaves-

1- Mix the yeast with 1/4 cup of lukewarm water and let it dissolve for 10 minutes.




2- While that happens, combine the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl (I used my Kitchen Aid), mince the lemon rind, melt the butter, chop up the candied orange peel, and warm up the milk to just lukewarm.

3-Stir the proofed yeast into the bowl with the flour, then add sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and melted butter. Mix, adding the milk little by little until all the liquid is absorbed.

4- Knead on a floured board (I used my Kitchen Aid) until an elastic dough forms. 
(It's supposed to be a soft dough, but I should have maybe put in a little less milk because I needed to add a spoonful of flour.)

5- Add the candied orange peel and shape the dough into a ball. Put it into a clean bowl that is lightly floured, cover with cling wrap, and allow to rest in a warm place for 1 hour.

6- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and pour the dough onto it (I divided mine into 3 small loaves). Pat flat, and form a flower: Covering the center with a mug, and cut the outside into 12 petals with a knife, leaving the center intact. Hide a coin in one of the petals. 





7- Twist each petal once or twice. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar pearls. Allow to rest for 30 minutes.








8- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Bake for 15 minutes.

5. Leave gifts:

Traditionally I leave gifts tonight for my children, from Befana. It's the last special gift of the Christmas season. 

This year, Befana delivered this duck to my grandson!


No comments:

Post a Comment