January 31, 2021

Waning Gibbous Moon

Photo by Alan Gillespie
Now the moon is waning -
 getting smaller - until it is new again. During the waning moon, the moon's energy changes, and we move gradually into the yin phase - slow down, go within, and focus on inner work. I back off a bit on actively pursuing my goals, and allow the ease of being a loving, thoughtful person to carry me towards my dreams. 

The work of intentional Being, rather than Doing, is life changing! When I slow down I can see what my hard work has produced in the world and in myself, and I have the leisure to notice, absorb, and expand.

The 2-week cycle of the waning moon looks like this:
  • Waning gibbous - Receptivity, generosity, gratitude
  • Third quarter (waning half moon) - Cleansing, self-care, renewal
  • Waning crescent - Surrender, take stock, find purpose
The waning moon is not a passive time, but rather an enthusiastic dive into being open-hearted, fully alive, and aware. Now, at the gibbous moon, it's time to practice being open to receiving blessings, feeling and expressing gratitude, and being generous with giving (towards others AND with myself).

Agenda today:
1. Journal queries
2. Gratitude journal
3. Write thank you notes
4. Generosity practice
1. Journal queries:
During the waning moon, journaling takes on a new importance. I'm engaged in inner work, and journalling is one way I access my Inner Guide.

In what areas of my life do I want to be more open and receptive?
How can I use my natural talents to express love? 

Gratitude in 1997
2. Gratitude journal:

I have not been able to keep a gratitude journal with any continuity - I get bored and it becomes a chore. But I CAN remind myself once a month of all I feel grateful for. 

Today I will pull out the journal I began in 1997, when my kids were young, and read some early entries. Then I will add a few new entries (probably focused on my grandson!)

When I remember to feel grateful for my blessings, my days take on a different tone: I have more vigor, optimism, compassion, and peace. By noticing how I am blessed, my impatience decreases and I realize how satisfied and fulfilled I really am. 

3. Write thank-you notes:
The feeling of gratitude helps to keep me humble; it helps me to remember that I depend on the love, kindness, and support of others at all times. All that I have comes from other people, just as I contribute to the lives of others in many ways.

Today I'm going to make a list of people I'm grateful to have in my life, and plan ways to
 express my appreciation - a thank-you note, or a phone call, or a zoom lunch date.

4. Generosity practice:
Generosity is freely sharing what I have- my money, help, or time- without expectation of reward or return. A generous life involves putting effort into looking after people; becoming actively involved with my community; and  speaking up for disadvantaged people. It means being open-minded, giving people the benefit of the doubt, granting my attention and my life force.

Generosity begins with my heart. It requires extravagant love and alertness to other’s needs. It also requires courage; I want to step outside my comfort zone and be generous to everyone. I need to push past my feelings of reluctance and fear to the place where generosity is spontaneous and fun. 

When I intentionally avoid over-commitment, I feel a sense of space that makes me more willing to share my time, my money, and my things with equanimity.

Today I looked over my calendar and planned ways to be generous each day this week:
  • Sunday: Feed my neighbor's dog
  • Monday: Write thank-you's to my brothers
  • Tuesday: Donate to Facebook Buy-Nothing Group
  • Wednesday: Make Valentines
  • Thursday: Zoom with a friend
  • Friday: Call my Mom
  • Saturday: Boil eggs for the houseless

No comments:

Post a Comment