January 27, 2021

Tu B'Shevat

Tu B’Shevat (too b’sch VAHT), the Jewish New Year for Trees, begins tonight at sunset, because the moon is full. This is the season in Israel when the earliest-blooming trees start a new fruit-bearing cycle. In contemporary Israel it’s celebrated with tree planting ceremonies and a focus on ecological awareness. Many also share a seder (ceremonial meal) of tree fruits.

Agenda: 
1. Tree of Life visualization
2. Plant a tree
3. Climate justice intentions
4. Share a seder meal

1. Tree of Life visualization: 
Detail from "Presence".
I like the focus on trees and ecology at Tu B'Shevat, but I also appreciate the deeper symbolism expressed by the Kabbalists: They have an image of God as an upside-down tree, whose roots are invisible to us, and whose trunk and branches reach downward toward us. 

Through this Tree of Life flows love, enlightenment, and persistent creation, causing the world and each of our lives to bloom. 

Today I will light a candle and settle into quiet meditation:
Picture the tree of life above us all, upside down, reaching towards us. From that tree streams a pink light of love, wisdom, health, and growth. 
Picture a funnel at the top of my head, and the pink light flows in and fills my heart with a warm, tingly glow. Allow a smile to settle on my face and in my heart. 
See the pink light move from my heart to every part of my body so that every cell is glowing and vibrating. 
Now see the pink light of love radiating to fill the whole room, then the whole city, and the whole planet earth. See that all people, plants, and animals feel warm and happy.
2. Plant a tree:
It’s a tradition to plant trees on Tu b’Shevat, or to donate money for the environment. We bought a live Christmas tree this year, in a pot, and today we will move it to it's over-the-summer location and bury the pot. (We will transfer it to a larger pot in the spring.)

3. Climate justice intentions:
This month I've been writing intentions for my core values and testimonies, that capture the possibility of daily right action and will be useful in any situation that arises in daily life. I write my intentions in present tense, and I use this model: action + definition deepest reason

One of my core values is to work for climate justice, and today I reaffirm that intention:
I intend to work for climate justice with tenacity, creativity, and courage - by speaking out, writing, joining in actions, and with art and craftivism - because all life on this earth has the right to a safe and healthy environment, and our children need us to make change happen!
  
4. Share a Seder meal: 
Eating fruit on this night helps to keep Divine blessings flowing in the world. We will have a fruit seder tonight at sunset.

I usually buy any fruits I feel like, but I try to include some of the seven species of fruits and grains named in the Torah (Deuteronomy 8:8): Wheat, barley, grapes, figs, pomegranates, olives, and dates. 

We cut the fruit and arrange it on a big platter, and set the table nicely with candles and flowers. (Sometimes I also make some whipped cream, for fun.)

When everything is ready, I light the candles and we say this prayer:

Baruch atah Adonai eloheynu melech ha-olam borey p’ri ha-eyts.

Blessed are You, our God, Who creates the fruit of the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment