May 11, 2021

New Peony Moon

The new moon rises today; the 
Beautiful peonies growing in my neighborhood.
Chinese call the fourth new moon the Peony Moon. 
Peonies are the flower of riches, romance, and honor, called sho yu in Chinese, which means "most beautiful." Their lush blooms are an omen of good fortune, and also foretell a happy marriage.

The new moon is the start of the lunar cycle, a time of high energy and clear thinking. Historically, the new moon is when women took time to be alone; it's a time to retreat, set intentions, and initiate something new

Agenda:
1. Retreat Day
2. Pick a theme
3. Goals and intentions
4. New moon altar and meditation
5. Begin something new
6. Prepare for a garden party

1. Retreat Day:
If at all possible, I schedule a day of retreat on the new moon, or near to it: I do less talking, less business, and more personal thought and action.

But because this is the season of blossoming into abundance, I have a great many projects started! I'm going to work on some important tasks today, in a focused and deliberate manner.  I will open myself to the receipt of gifts, and try to be fully awake to all that each moment holds.

2. Pick a theme:
At the new moon I choose a theme, and begin to give attention to it. 
My theme this month is joy -- that's contentment, serenity, harmony, and living with a wide-open, unbiased attitude of appreciation for life. A childlike quality of joy supports my spontaneous, innovative, creative spirit. Also, my joyous mood is infectious and brings success with my relationships.

Joy goals might be to experience more harmony and happiness in my life, to increase my creativity, to make deeper friendships, or to explore and develop my playful qualities.

Like compassion, joy is a limitless quality. I train in it by noticing the moment it arrives and the moment when I shift away, into disapproval or sorrow. When that happens, I just notice the shift without acting on it or repressing it; I hold my feelings of "not joy" softly so that the barriers to joy might come down.

Besides attention, two other supports for a joyful mind are curiosity and humor. When I am in a joyful mood, I feel relaxed, expansive, and spontaneous.

My joy practices this month:
  • Adventures and play with my grandson.
  • Joyful walks in the spring rain.
  • Enjoy time in the garden, and watching our ducks. 
  • Have fun with my bike group - let myself play.
  • Don't over-schedule; allow time for spontaneity and serenity. 
  • Play with painting outdoors.
  • Make fun and happy things with my hands: a busy-board toy, a rainy embroidery, a summer blanket, garden art... 
  • Celebrate life and love with my family, and my friends.
3. Goals and intentions:
I have a two-fold task today: Plan some new goals, and set some intentions for the days ahead. Though lots of writers use these terms interchangeably, I am clear about the differences:

Goals are a plan for the future that help us stay on track with who we are becoming. 

Intentions are a pledge for action in the present; they remind us of who we are now, and our deepest, most essential, most passionate reasons for living. I write my intentions in present tense, and I use this model: action deepest reason.
 
After I list my top goals for the next 30 days, I'm ready to set some intentions for action. This is a very time-consuming but important process. I'm going to choose a few to write today - those I might act on today - then work on a few more each day this week.

I intend to embrace joy and contentment, and live with harmony and appreciation, because a joyful attitude supports my creative spirit and nourishes my relationships.

 

I intend to expand my work for climate justice, taking small weekly steps to educate and advocate - by speaking out, writing, joining in actions, and with art and craftivism (as well as studying to become more informed myself), because all life on this earth has the right to a safe and healthy environment, and our children need us to make change happen!

 
I intend spend daily time in our garden, planting lots of food and showing honor to the earth spirits, because nature's strength and peace heals me, teaches me, and gives me the motivation to continue the fight for climate justice. 
    4. New moon altar and meditation
    It's time to clear my altar, and discern what to put on it for July. (For my thoughts on altars see About Altars). I generally keep it simple and choose only things that speak to me and feed me, and reveal what I believe in. I ask, what quality of Spirit do I want to invoke?

    Today I cleared everything except my soapstone cat (to remind me to be flexible in my thinking) 
    and added:
    • a nesting doll for motherhood and family
    • an orange candle for joy and creativity
    • a kaleidoscope to remind me to look at life from new angles
    Today I will light a small white candle on my altar. I will center and give attention to each of my intentions, and picture each one accomplished. Then I'll let go of expectations, and feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life.

    5. Begin something new
    Even though I'm in retreat today, the new moon has the perfect energy for starting something new. Today I'm beginning work on two new projects: A "busy board" for my grandson, and a new painting.

    Butterfly lavender in my front yard.
    6. Prepare for a garden party
    In China this is the start of the season of garden parties, especially for the purpose of peony viewing. I don't have any peonies to view, but my garden is in full bloom. I think it's time to plan a party!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment