May 25, 2021

Wesak and Full Flower Moon

Tonight is the full moon. The May full moon is called the Flower Moon, because this is a month of blossoming and a promise of abundance. The flowers in my garden are a delicate reminder to me to project a gentle, honest spirit into the world. I open my heart, give my gifts with love, and receive, with gratitude, the bounty of gifts others offer to me.

We are now at the peak of the strong-energy yang phase of the waxing moon, and will soon begin the quiet-energy yin time of the waning moon. But today it's time to CELEBRATE! The full moon is a time of fruitfulness, creativity, and completion, and also strong (sometimes overwhelming) emotion. This month I feel happy and energetic, but also somewhat anxious, and I want to acknowledge and embrace the whole spectrum of my emotions.

Today is also Wesak (pronounced way-sak). The full moon in May is the day that Buddhists honor the birth of Gautama Buddha in Lumbini, Nepal, in 623 BCE, and also honor his enlightenment and death. Buddhists all over the world celebrate this day by pausing to remember the Buddha's virtues, expressing their gratitude and appreciation for his teachings, and by finding ways to be more Buddha-like.

Agenda for today:
1. 
Journal queries
2. Celebrate joy
3. Find ways to be more Buddha-like
4. Make a lantern for Wesak
5. Cook Hath Maaluwa (Seven Vegetables Curry)
6. Full moon ceremony


1. Journal queries:
The full moon shines a bright light on everything, and I might experience intuitive and creative breakthroughs. I might be shocked by the clarity of my insights. 

At this phase, I'll see the work I've been putting in begin to pay off, but also see where I need to work harder. I might see some ugliness - the full moon illuminates all the things I've left in the shadows, some heavy truths and some embarrassing mistakes.

Today I sit down with my journal, and my New Moon list of goals, and I seek the truth:
Do these aims all still seem vital? What are my deepest reasons for persuing these goals?
What beliefs, obstacles, doubts, or attachements are holding me back? Can I release them now? 
What opportunities for growth do I see today? What are my next steps?

Make two lists:

1. Write out the things I want to celebrate: My achievements, and events of the last two weeks that deserve commemoration.

2. Write out a few things I'd like to release this month: Habits, beliefs, obstacles, and attachments. 

2. Celebrate joy:
My theme for this month's full moon continues to be joy. I remind myself of my intentions, celebrate my accomplishments, reaffirm this theme for the next two weeks, and give thanks for the lessons learned and the blessings received.

After reviewing my goals and my accomplishments of the last two weeks, I am ready to celebrate joy in three ways:
  1. An extra-long walk to visit a friend
  2. Joyful planting time in my garden
  3. An hour of working on sewing and woodworking projects
3. Find ways to be more Buddha-like:
Buddhists celebrate Wesak by finding ways to be more Buddha-like: By practicing meditation, visiting monasteries, listening to sermons from venerable monks and nuns, serving free vegetarian meals to poor people, making donations to charities, and distributing gifts.

I've been listening to two books that both recommend meditation as a means toward Joy, so today I will find time for some meditation practice with a joyful focus.

4. Make a lantern for Wesak:
Many Buddhists in Asia decorate their homes for Wesak with flags and elaborate lanterns. One year I made a tissue paper lantern called an atapattama. They are usually made out of thin pieces of bamboo, but I found a good video demonstration on YouTube showing a simple wire technique. 
(For a how to make my Wesak lantern above, look here, and from another year, look here.)

5. Cook Hath Maaluwa (Seven Vegetables Curry):
Buddhists all over the world refrain from eating meat on this day, and serve vegetarian meals to poor people. 

This tasty vegetarian curry is from Sri Lanka; you can use any seven vegetables that are in season in your area. The recipe is here.

6. Full moon ceremony:
The full moon is the right time to celebrate wins and release losses. Since it's a time of high energy and emotion, I use this simple and quiet ceremony:

1. Take the two lists I wrote, along with a lit candle, outside after dusk and look for the moon in the northeastern sky. Plant my feet firmly on the ground, take some slow breaths, and soak up the light of the full moon.

2. Read out my list of things to celebrate - my achievements, and events of the last month that deserve commemoration - and thank the universe.

3. Read out my list of things I'd like to release this month: Habits, beliefs, obstacles, and attachments. Hold this list to the flame and watch the smoke and ash float away.

No comments:

Post a Comment