May 1, 2021

May Day

May Day, on May 1st, is a spring celebration of the blooming flowers. Maying is what we call the things we do to celebrate this beautiful month-- going on picnics, picking flowers, dancing around a maypole, and sharing our love.
May Day is an ancient holiday stemming from the festival of Floralia which honored Flora, the Flourishing One, the Roman goddess of spring. Flora is a bright nature goddess who makes trees bloom- she is a “lady of pleasure", but also a symbol of motherhood. She wears a garland of flowers in her hair, and in her right hand she holds a columbine, for fertility. 

In England a young woman is chosen as May Queen, representing Flora, and is crowned with hawthorn blossoms. She is often accompanied by a May King.

Agenda:
1. Prepare a Beltane fire
2. Bring in the May
3. May baskets
4. Make Tippaleivät (Finnish May Day Fritters)
5. Maypole Dances

6. Daily Creative Flow


1. Prepare a Beltane fire:
In some places, May Day celebrations still begin at sunset on April 30. May Day Eve is called Beltane or, in Germany, Walpurgisnacht, named for the English missionary Saint Walpurga (ca. 710–777).

A few year's ago I managed to collect oak (planted by a squirrel), grape, birch, fir, apple, and hawthorn
 from our yard in preparation for a fire. (I couldn't find the hazel, rowan and willow, so wisdom, 
life and death were unrepresented.)
Beltane means "fire of Bel"; Bel is a Celtic Sun God. On Beltane the Celts would build two large Bel Fires, lit from the nine sacred woods: 
  • birch for the goddess
  • oak for the god
  • rowan for life
  • willow for death
  • hawthorn for purity
  • hazel for wisdom
  • apple for love
  • grapevine for joy
  • fir for immortality
The Bel Fire was an invocation to Bel, asking him to bring his blessings and protection to the tribe. It celebrated the return of fruitfulness to the earth. The ashes were smudged on faces and scattered in the fields, to heal and purify.


2. Bring in the May:
Hawthorn is called the May bush, because it blooms now in England; ours is just on the verge. 

Cutting the may blossom symbolizes the beginning of new life. I will hang a sprig of hawthorn at our front door to protect and purify our home.

3. May baskets: 

When I was very young, my siblings and I used to run around the neighborhood on May Day morning with flowers from our yard. We would put the flowers on the mat, ring the doorbell, and run and hide. It was scary and exciting!

Today I will give someone flowers anonymously.


4. 
Make Tippaleivät (Finnish May Day Fritters):

The recipe is here.

5. Maypole Dances!
I have a clothesline post in my yard that we have used as a Maypole. My friend Georgia and I made ribbons from 4-inch strips of cloth sewn together, and attached one end of each to a plastic salsa container lid. We rolled the ribbons up for easy storage. When it is time to dance, I nail the plastic lid onto the top of my clothesline pole, and unrolled the ribbons.

I did organize Maypole dances one year with my art class students, but I didn't get photos. It was very disorganized- we could have used some practise. I will try it again someday, but I'm not teaching classes this year.

Here are the dances we tried. 

6. Practice a daily art prayer:
For Ramadan this year I’ve been working at generous creativity. Ramadan’s purpose is to help Muslims to develop self-discipline, a strong spirit, generosity, and empathyAs usual, I want to focus my efforts for self-discipline on my creative work. 

I intend to serve my family, my community, and the world with my creativity, tirelessly, in all the ways I am led by Spirit, because my art is a gift from God and must be given generously and with compassion.


I started a daily practice at noon each day that brings me face-to-face with my work, and the people for whom it is intended. I stop for a short re-set: Ground myself by looking at my current projects, picture those who I'm creating it for, send a prayer for them, write a note and an affirmation. 

Then I take one generous creative action each day - this week: 
  • Today: Finish sewing a raven (for my son’s birthday)
  • Sunday: Design a stitched square (for the Loving Earth climate project)
  • Monday: Make a summer baby blanket (for my grandson)
  • Tuesday: Work on my large abstract, called Rock Garden (for the universe)

No comments:

Post a Comment