April 30, 2021

Maidyozarem and Waning Gibbous Moon

The Zoroastrian community honors the six seasons of the year by celebrating six Gahambars - the word gahambar means "proper season". Each of these six festivals is celebrated for five days, and each honors one of the six material creations: The heaven, water, earth, flora, fauna and man.

Maidyozarem, the first Gahambar of the Zoroastrian year, means "mid-spring", and it celebrates the creation of the sky, heaven, the stars, and the hot nebulous cloud of the fire of the Universe. It takes place each year from April 30 through May 4th.

Also, the moon is waning now - getting smaller - until it is new again. During the waning moon, the moon's energy changes, and we move gradually into the yin phase - slow down, go within, and focus on inner work. I back off a bit on actively pursuing my goals, and allow the ease of being a loving, thoughtful person to carry me towards my dreams. 

At the waning gibbous moon I practice opening to receive blessings, feeling and expressing gratitude, and generosity with giving (towards others AND with myself).


Agenda this week:
1. Journal queries
2. Generosity practices
3. Gratitude journal
4. Recite prayers
5. Make Kachumber Salad
Agenda today:
1. Journal queries:
During the waning moon, journaling takes on a new importance. I'm engaged in inner work, and journalling is one way I access my Inner Guide. I especially want to focus on my theme of balance, so I will answer these 3 questions every morning this week - start my day off with awareness, and move towards balance and fulfillment:

1. What do I intend for today? How do I want to be? What do I want to accomplish? What could I do today to bring my life into greater balance?

2. What blessings am I seeking? What help could the Universe send today that would be the biggest gift?

3. Who can I serve? What ONE big or little thing could I do to open my heart wider and be more generous with my time or help?

2. Generosity Practices:
Every month after the full moon I take some time to plan ways I can be more generous with my time and attention. I start with ideas for being generous with myself, then my household, my family, my neighborhood, community, and the earth. I might decide to give money or a gift, or simple acts of helping and sharing my time. This next week I plan to:
  • Finish sewing a raven for a present.
  • Throw a jubilant family birthday party for my son.
  • Donate hard boiled eggs for the homeless.
  • Share time with youth in my community.
  • Make a new baby blanket.
  • Teach a painting class.
  • Plan an engagement party!
  • Prepare and clerk a meeting for reparations.
When I'm motivated by the desire to give, just the intention to offer my help, and my willingness to listen, will begin to lessen suffering in the world.

3. Gratitude walk:
I have not been able to keep a gratitude journal with any continuity - I get bored and it becomes a chore. But when I remember to feel grateful for my blessings, my days take on a different tone: I have more vigor, optimism, compassion, and peace. By noticing how I am blessed, my impatience decreases and I realize how satisfied and fulfilled I really am.

This next week, when I'm out on my daily walk, I will remember to ask myself "What do I value most about my life?" and give thanks to the universe.

4. Recite Prayers:
The first four days of Maidyozarem are devoted to services, and reciting prayers. Zoroastrians turn towards a flame while praying, which symbolizes the fire of creation and the spiritual flame within each of us-- and so I stand before a candle flame to recite the Ashem Vohu (invocation of Asha) from the Avesta (Zoroastrian Book of Common Prayer).

The Ashem Vohu is a prayer with universal appeal. The word Ashem has many meanings: Law, Order, Beauty, Truth, Righteousness, Purity, Freedom. This one word expresses Divine truth, purity of body and mind, and all the beauty of nature. It's a central idea in Zoroastrianism.

This prayer is like a mantra, to be chanted slowly. To hear it recited, go to this link.
ashem vohû vahishtem astî
Truth is the best good. 
ushtâ astî
It is happiness.
ushtâ ahmâi hyat ashâi vahishtâi ashem.
Happiness is to one whose truth (represents) best truth. 
5. Make Kachumber Salad:
Ingredients:

  • 1/2 white or red onion
  • 1 large cucumber
  • 1 medium tomato 
  • ½ c. white or red wine vinegar 
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice 
  • ¼ tsp. cumin powder 
  • salt (to taste) 
  • pepper (to taste) 
  • cayenne pepper (to taste) 
1. Chop the onion. Peel the cucumber and slice in ¼" pieces. Soak in vinegar in the refrigerator for one hour.

2. Cube the tomato. 

3. Combine lemon juice, cumin powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne in a small bowl.  Add to the marinated onion and cucumber, along with the tomato. Toss the ingredients to mix well. 

4. Serve the salad immediately or refrigerate for awhile to allow the salad to marinate longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment