April 1, 2021

Maundy Thursday

Maundy Thursday is the day when Jesus and his disciples gathered to share the Passover meal known as the Last Supper. Maundy is an English word that comes from the Latin mandatum, referring to the new commandment that Jesus made on that night: 
“A new commandment I give to you, that you Love one another. As I have loved you so you must love one another.” (John 13:34). 
On this day three important events are documented.

Rooted- acrylic on canvas
First, Jesus showed his great love and humility by washing the feet of his disciples.

Second was the introduction of the Eucharist.

Thirdly, Jesus went to the Garden of Gethsemani to pray and was betrayed by Judas and arrested.

Agenda today:
1. Show love and humility
2. Eat mindfully
3. Find new clothes for Easter
4. Take a bubble bath
5. Go to the garden tonight to pray

1. Show love and humility:
In the days of Jesus and his Disciples, people wore sandals and walked long distances on very dusty roads; it was a sign of respect for a servant to gently wash the feet of guests when they arrived in a house. On this night, Jesus showed his great love and humility by washing the feet of his disciples. 

He told them, "Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.” (John 13:1-17).

When my kids were young I did actually wash their feet, to their great amusement. Now I seek subtler ways to show my love, to family and others- easy forgiveness, continuing generosity, care and kindness.

2. Eat mindfully:
The first Eucharist was a Passover meal. When Jesus and his disciples were reclining at their Passover meal, Jesus blessed the matzo bread and broke it, saying to them "Take this and eat it, for this is my body." Then he blessed the wine and passed around His cup. "Drink this, for this is my blood." (Matthew 26:26-28).

I truly believe that each meal I eat is a communion, a reminder to be open to the presence of God, and the blessing of life.

Today I will have some bread and some wine, and, as I eat, I will renew my intention to be open, mindful, and thankful.

3. Find new clothes for Easter:
Today I hope to shop at a thrift store to find a spring skirt or a dress to wear for Easter. 

4. Take a bubble bath: 
It became a custom in the Middle Ages (when baths were not too common) for Christian folk to bathe on Maundy Thursday, washing thoroughly and shaving, in preparation for Easter. 

I will never pass up an opportunity for a bubble bath!

5. Go to the garden tonight to pray:
The Catholic Church has a tradition of keeping a vigil after the Maundy Thursday service, in remembrance of Jesus' important prayer in the garden of Gethsemane on this night. His instructions to his apostles were to "watch and pray", so I will sit in silence and wait for the Spirit to fill me. I will pray for peace in the world, health for the sick, and comfort for the grieving.

No comments:

Post a Comment