March 31, 2021

Waning Gibbous Moon

Photo by Alan Gillespie

Now the moon is waning - getting smaller - until it is new again. During the waning moon, the moon's energy changes, and we move gradually into the yin phase - slow down, go within, and focus on inner work. I back off a bit on actively pursuing my goals, and allow the ease of being a loving, thoughtful person to carry me towards my dreams. 

  • Waning gibbous - Receptivity, generosity, gratitude
At the gibbous moon, it's time to practice being open to receiving blessings, feeling and expressing gratitude, and being generous with giving (towards others AND with myself).

Agenda today:
1. Journal queries
2. Generosity practices
3. Gratitude journal

1. Journal queries:
During the waning moon, journaling takes on a new importance. I'm engaged in inner work, and journalling is one way I access my Inner Guide. This month I'm focusing on strength, health, vigor and life-style, so I ask myself: 

In what areas of my life do I need more vigor, and how could I access it? 
What life-style choices could I change to bring me into integrity with my values?
What strengths of virtue (courage, moderation, wisdom, caring, leadership...) do I need to lend attention to?

From my journal: I find myself intrigued again with the question of virtue; it's such an old-fashioned word. And I like the idea that virtue is a strength. I think I need to work most on the virtue of Courage, which is the strength to accomplish things in the face of opposition. Some of my opposition is external and some internal, but it always takes courage, persistence, integrity, and it leads to vitality. Vitality (the state of feeling vital) comes from acting with courage and integrity.

2. Generosity Practices: 
Every month after the full moon I take some time to plan ways I can be more generous with my time and attention. I start with ideas for being generous with myself, then my household, my family, my neighborhood, community, and the earth. I might decide to give money or a gift, or simple acts of helping and sharing my time. This week I plan to:
  • Buy myself new art supplies
  • Send a birthday card
  • Dye eggs with various members of my family
  • Worship with a friend who is struggling
  • Explore ways to volunteer at my local school
  • Go to a climate rally
When I'm motivated by the desire to give, just the intention to offer my help, and my willingness to listen, will begin to lessen suffering in the world.

3. Gratitude Journal:
The work of intentional Being, rather than Doing, is life changing! When I slow down I can see what my hard work has produced in the world and in myself, and I have the leisure to notice, absorb, and expand. 

I have not been able to keep a gratitude journal with any continuity - I get bored and it becomes a chore. But I CAN remind myself once a month of all I feel grateful for. Today I will write a few new entries (probably focused on my grandson!) When I remember to feel grateful for my blessings, my days take on a different tone: I have more vigor, optimism, compassion, and peace. By noticing how I am blessed, my impatience decreases and I realize how satisfied and fulfilled I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment