March 14, 2021

Forgiveness Sunday

Today is Forgiveness Sunday in the Eastern Orthodox Church. It's officially the last day of the Maslenitsa festival in Russia. Lent starts tomorrow, on Clean Monday, in both the Russian and Greek churches.

Agenda Today:
1. Journal queries
2. 
Make Tyropita (Cheese Pie)
3. 
Have a fire
4. Ask forgiveness and offer forgiveness

1. Journal queries:
What have I learned so far from my Lenten fast and study? What is the next step to take?

2. Make Tyropita (Cheese Pie):
Forgiveness Sunday is also known as Cheesefare Sunday. Today is the last day that dairy products are permitted.  Sweet or savory cheese pies are popular traditional Greek foods today.

This recipe is pretty easy to make, and very, very rich and good. You can use your favorite cheeses and herbs, and either store-bought puff pastry or home-made pie pastry. The recipe is here.

2017 Maslenitsa fire
3. Have a fire:
Tonight in Russia, the whole town gathers to throw the Maslenitsa effigy doll onto a huge bonfire. The doll symbolizes winter; they hope that all their problems will leave along with winter.

When I make this fire with children, we talk about the symbolism of burning away the winter so that spring can return. And because most of us have a primitive love of burning things, it takes only a minute for my students to be gleefully on board. We march together out to the fire circle, say a few words of thanks, stick the doll into the ground and watch it burn.

This year I didn't make a doll, and I didn't have a fire, but I did light a candle and take a moment to say a prayer for the earth, my family, and all that I have to look forward to this spring and summer.

4. Ask forgiveness and offer forgiveness:
The traditional theme of the Lenten fast is repentance and reconciliation with God. The Eastern Orthodox Church reminds us that we can't have that without first being reconciled with one another. Tonight they have a special Forgiveness Vespers, and at the end everyone takes part in the Ceremony of Mutual Forgiveness-- each person will bow down, first before the priest, and then each other, asking, “Forgive me, a sinner” and the proper response is “God forgives you”. 

Each person asks forgiveness from, and offers forgiveness to, each other person, then exchanges the kiss of peace. 

Quakers don't usually go in for any kind of ceremony, but I can imagine that it's a powerful moment. Wesley J. Smith says "The service is a healing balm. It is hard to bear grudges when all have shared such an intimate mutual humbling. Indeed, Forgiveness Vespers is emotionally intense, tears often flow and hugs of true reconciliation are common."

As a Quaker, I have had to figure out simple ways to ask for and offer forgiveness and feel that humbling moment, and I do it as often as I can, with honest words, a note, or a silent prayer. A wise man said to forgive our neighbors even when they sin against us repeatedly, even until seventy times seven (Matthew 18:21-22)So, tonight I offer this prayer:
I ask for forgiveness from those I've hurt, and I offer forgiveness to those who have hurt me - and to those who hurt the earth. In asking and offering forgiveness, I hope to be able to release this burden of shame, indignation, and fear, and move on with resilience.

No comments:

Post a Comment