March 20, 2021

Spring Equinox

Spring equinox occurred this morning at 2:37 a.m. PDT. 

The word equinox comes from the Latin words aequus (equal) and nox (night). This is a moment of balance - the sun rises exactly in the east and sets exactly in the west, and we experience twelve hours each of light and dark. From this moment on, we gain more light each day, until the summer solstice.


Agenda Today:
1. Journal queries
2. Plant my straw doll
3. Spring cleaning plan

1. Journal queries:
Consider the balance in my life.
How well do I balance my physical, mental, and spiritual needs?

How can I balance my personal needs with my commitments to the outside world? 
How do I balance my Being-ness (mindful, compassionate, grateful) with my Doing (engaged, kind,and giving)?

Think also of the balance in the world; meditate upon what this half of the year will bring, dark and light, and how best I can take right action in the world.


2. 
Plant my straw doll:
I make a corn or straw doll each fall. For how to make this simple straw doll see this post on the autumn equinox.

The custom in Europe was to make a straw figure out of the last sheaf of wheat that was harvested, so the spirit of the grain had a place to live through the winter. Then it was planted again in the spring.

Today I will plant my straw doll along with my early kale and bok choy.

3. Spring cleaning plan:
Spring break week was traditionally when my whole family pitched in and tackled the big cleaning chores. Now I've noticed that my energy doesn't stretch to too many big chores in one week, and I've scaled back my goals. 

Now I have two goals for spring cleaning: Cleaning the windows, in and out, so we can see the colors of spring, and clearing the clutter that has stacked up over the winter months. This week I will focus on the living room. My plan-
  • Sunday Clear surfaces: Put away all the winter decorations and knick-knacks.
  • Monday - Dust all the furniture and corners, and remove any stacks on the floor.
  • Tuesday - Clean the woodwork: Scrub around doorknobs, baseboards, doors, and trim.
  • Wednesday - Clean all the houseplants, leaves and pots, and replant my snake plant into a bigger pot.
  • Thursday - Clean the windows and sills, inside and out
  • Friday - Clean the floors: Move and clean under furniture; vacuum and mop.
  • Saturday - Decorate for spring: Put out green and yellow cloths and candles, a big vase of spring flowers, and set out my nests, birds, and bunnies.
After a thorough cleaning, we will feel the fragrance of springtime throughout the house, and I will also get the cobwebs out of my head! What a perfect way to celebrate the season- my house, my family and I myself deserve this kind of loving attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment