March 7, 2021

2021 Lenten Calendar, Week Four

My theme for Lent this year 
is the Land I Live On. Most of my activism focus is on climate change, and I want to fuel that work with a strong and intimate connection to this land. I want to better understand my relationship to the natural world and the cycles of the seasons, the history, culture, and ecosystem of my valley, the indigenous peoples and how I connect to them, and the responsibility I feel for the land.

Also, because I am caring for my grandson this year, I have a unique opportunity to see the natural world through a baby's eyes, with Wonder and DiscoveryI want to re-connect to the awe for Creation that I felt as a child.

March 7, Third Sunday of Lent-
1. Journal queries: What have I learned so far from my Lenten fast and study? What are the next steps to take? Ground myself in optimistic hope for the future, and open to the best actions to take.

From my journal: I'm enjoying my reading and research! Some ideas for future studies are reparations for Native Americans, experiments with "attunement" in the garden, and a dive into Paganism / Earth religion.

2. Wonder Practices - Enjoy a bonfire:
 We went out to the country today to 'help' to burn a brush pile. The fire was underwhelming, but we had fun being out of doors with friends, playing with dogs, and digging in the dirt.

March 8, International Women's Day - 
3. I enjoyed this photo essay: Climate change is a women's issueSome points: Changing climate affects everyone – but it’s the world’s poorest and those in vulnerable situations, especially women and girls, who bear the brunt of environmental, economic and social shocks. And, just as the pandemic has done, climate-induced disasters exacerbate entrenched gender inequalities. Often, women and girls are the last to eat or be rescued; face greater health and safety risks as water and sanitation systems become compromised; and take on increased domestic and care work as resources disappear.

March 9, Waning Crescent Moon-
4. Study The Kalapuyans: I started this short book on the indigenous people of my valley. My reading this week is about mounds and artifacts of the paleo-indians of the valley.

5. 
Surrender, rest, recuperate: 
This next few days is a time to be empty; the time for striving is past. As the moon’s light fades into darkness I get to relax and surrender to the universe. 

Some things will always be out of my control. As the moon's appearance dwindles, I let go of useless beliefs, unreasonable expectations, grudges, defensiveness, projects that don't fit into my life, and anything else that isn't working for me. I turn these all over to the Divine and give thanks, my way of opening to receive new intentions in the new month.

Then I give myself permission to rest! 

March 10 -
6. Plant a native garden bed:
 We picked up our pollinator plants and other native plants on Saturday, and today I'm going to prepare a new bed and plant them!

I'm going to experiment again with what at Findhord is called attunement, inner-listening, and co-creation, and consists mostly of being quiet and taking time to listen within for direction and guidance, as well as making a mystical connection to the plants themselves. Part of the purpose of attunement is to align with the most peaceful way to accomplish something, and another is to offer myself to service for the earth.

March 11 - 
6. Study Braiding Sweetgrass, section 3: The reciprocity theme continues in this section with an emphasis upon the gifts the land provides, finding our unique gifts to give in return, how our gifts can be used to foster the sense of community, and how “plants teach in a universal language: food.”  

In The Three Sisters story I learned that “... the lessons of reciprocity are written clearly in a Three Sisters garden. Together their stems inscribe what looks to me like a blueprint for the world, a map of balance and harmony.” When corn, beans, and squash are planted together, their “organic symmetry of forms belongs together... Respect one another, support one another, bring your gift to the world and receive the gifts of others, and there will be enough for all.” What does each of The Three Sisters bring to their reciprocal relationship? How can this partnership create a stronger community? Can I think of other examples of such win-win situations?

March 12, New Moon-
9. Panchakshara Mantra: This mantra means "five letters" in Sanskrit, and refers to the five letters Na, Ma, Si, Va, and Ya:
Om (the primordial sound)
Namah (I honor)
Shivaya (the source of creation)

This is a prayer to Shiva, who is the universal consciousness. Shiva is life potential and the ground out of which everything grows; Shiva is the space from where everything has come, where everything is sustained, and where everything eventually dissolves.

10. Have a yin kind of daySpend one day in yin mode, not doing, but rather being. Hang out in the garden, relax in my home, drink water, read a book, daydream, go for a long walk, take a bath, take a nap, linger over dinner, and go to bed early.

March 13-
11. Tree planting with Friends of Trees! We had a successful morning, and I helped to plant 6 trees in 5 yards near my neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment