April 18, 2021

Navratri, Part 3

Navratri continues for three more nights, with the arrival of Saraswati, the Goddess of wisdom and knowledge. Saraswati means "the essence of self".

Agenda Today:
1- Add to my altar
2- Morning meditation on wisdom
3- Make moong dal (yellow lentils)
4- Evening visualization and prayer

5- Saraswati mantra


1- Add to my altar:
On the seventh day of Navratri I add a white candle, as a symbolic form of Saraswati and the light of sattwa. 

Hindus often put books and art tools on the puja so that Saraswati can bless them, so I also added a couple of paint brushes, to rededicate myself to the search for Inspiration.

2- Morning meditation on wisdom:
During Navratri, Hindus work on their vyavhaar (behaviour) and acharan (character). Each of the three goddesses signifies a stage of the spiritual journey we all go through
  • Durga’s strength and energy creates an opening, 
  • Lakshmi’s success and fortune nurtures growth, and 
  • Saraswati’s wisdom and knowledge leads to enlightenment, happiness, and peace.
On my path I pass through the stages that everyone has to pass through- one naturally leads to the next. As I eliminate an undesirable quality, I develop the virtue opposite to it. Each time I succeed in developing and strengthening my good qualities, I am ready to receive another bit of the Light, moving towards enlightenment- that is what the nine days of Navratri are all about.

On each morning of Navratri I light a small white candle, center, and feel myself fill with thankfulness for all I have now in my life. For these next three mornings I meditate on my inner wisdom, the new light and understanding I have received this season
, and the spiritual teachings or Truths I wish to understand better.

Served with homemade naan and green beans.
3- Make moong dal (yellow lentils): 
Many Hindus eat only vegetarian foods during Navratri; often a different sundal (dry legume dish) each night. The moong dal recipe is here.


4- Evening visualization and prayer:
For these last three nights, I light the candle, and honor the intuitive aspect of the Mother-

I pray 
“Thank you, Mother, for providing energy for the earth to move around the sun, causing spring to come again, and for maintaining the correct balance of the universe. You are the earth. You nourish support, protect, and mother all creatures, all beings. I ask you to give me power to open my heart, and flow with the river of life. Bless me with an abundance of wisdom, happiness, peace, and creativity, and guide my voice to speak the Truth." 

Then I picture Saraswati sitting on the blossom of my heart, sprinkling me with cleansing waters, and shining the light of wisdom, peace, and Truth.

5- Saraswati Mantra:
I focus on my image of Saraswati and chant- 

  • Om - the primordial sound 
  • Aim - from which knowledge and powers of speech emanate 
  • Sa-ra-swath-yai - goddess of wisdom 
  • Na-ma-ha - I pray.
(You might want to chant along with someone who knows how. Many YouTube versions exist, and my favorite is here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment