November 18, 2021

Full Frost Moon and Xia Yuan Jie

 

Today is Xia Yuan Jie (pronounced "Shaw you-an Jee-a") -- Lower Primordial Festival -- a Chinese festival that falls on the 15th day of the 10th lunar month, usually the full moon of November. It’s the third of a trio of Taoist holidays that honor three Taoist gods, called the Three Great Emperor Officials:
  • Tian-Guan, the Heaven Official, gives happiness, and rules over the first 6 months of the year (the yang part), beginning on the 15th day of the 1st lunar month, at the Lantern Festival.
  • Di-Guan, the Earth Official, forgives sins and guilt, and rules over the next 3 months (the yin part), beginning on the 15th day of the 8th lunar month, at the Ghost Festival.
  • Shui-Guan, the Water Official, rules over the last 3 months of the year (also yin), starting today.
And tonight we see the Full Frost Moon, called that because now is when the first hoarfrost might appear - that white frost that makes walking crunchy, and that requires scraping of windshields. Frost is a reminder that winter is coming, and we all need to finish our outdoor chores and close up the storm windows.

We are now at the peak of the strong-energy yang phase of the waxing moon, and will soon begin the quiet-energy yin time of the waning moon. But today it's time to CELEBRATE! The full moon is a time of fruitfulness, creativity, and completion, and also strong (sometimes overwhelming) emotion. This month I feel energetic and motivated, and also disappointed and sad, and I want to acknowledge and embrace the whole spectrum of my emotions.

Today I will celebrate how far I've come and give thanks for the lessons learned and the blessings received.

Agenda:
1. Journal queries
2. Celebrate abundance
3. Make a Thanksgiving card
4. Cook the pumpkins
5. Hold the world in the light

1. Journal queries:
The full moon shines a bright light on everything, and I might experience intuitive and creative breakthroughs. I might be shocked by the clarity of my insights. 

At this phase, I'll see the work I've been putting in begin to pay off, but also see where I need to work harder. I might see some ugliness - the full moon illuminates all the things I've left in the shadows, some heavy truths and some embarrassing mistakes.

Today I sit down with my journal, and my New Moon list of goals, and I seek the truth:
Do these aims all still seem vital? What are my deepest reasons for persuing these goals?
What beliefs, obstacles, doubts, or attachements are holding me back? Can I release them now? 
What opportunities for growth do I see today? What are my next steps?

Make two lists:

1. Write out the things I want to celebrate: My achievements, and events of the last two weeks that deserve commemoration.

2. Write out a few things I'd like to release this month: Habits, beliefs, obstacles, and attachments. 

2. Celebrate abundance:
My theme for each month's full moon continues to be abundance, gratitude, and creativity. I will remind myself of my intentions, and then celebrate my accomplishments and reaffirm this theme for the next two weeks. To celebrate I will
  • Finish making a birthday gift
  • Make a Thanksgiving card
  • Expand my thinking about a family celebration
3. Make a Thanksgiving card:

I am continuing the tradition I started years ago of making a thanksgiving card to give my friends. I used a detail from my new painting The Summer Garden, and uploaded it to Pixlr, a free on-line program, to add words and a border. I will print a few to hand out, and I plan to send some by email as well.

4. Cook the pumpkins:

The secret to good pumpkin pie is to use fresh pumpkin. We had 5 little pumpkins sitting on our porch and the Toddler Wagon came in handy for transport.

To cook, I chop each pumpkin in half, clean out the centers, and bake them at 250ºF until they were soft. Then I scoop them out of the skins and put the pumpkin in containers in the refrigerator.

3. Hold the world in the light:
Shui-Guan's full title is The Great Emperor Water Official of Pervasive Yin of Lower Primordial & Tertiary Grade Who Eliminates DistressToday is considered to be his birthday, and is also the day when he visits the Mortal World to do inspections and release blessings.

Shui-Guan checks on the seas, rivers, streams, and the wind and rain, but he also has the task of eliminating our "unnecessary" distresses, dangers, and misfortunes -- if he sees it is best to do so. 

Taoists hold ceremonies to pay respect to Shui-Guan today, praying for good fortune and for disasters to be diverted. They will light 49 lamps or candles for 3 days hoping that this light energy will catch Shui-guan's attention.

I will light a candle tonight for all the people in distress today, praying that they receive a blessing of peace and generosity.

No comments:

Post a Comment