November 11, 2021

Martinstag and First Quarter Moon

Martinstag, November 11, is the day of St. Martin of Tours, patron saint of beggars, soldiers, and conscientious objectors.

Martin was born in Hungary in 316 A.D. As a teenager, he joined the Roman army, becoming a soldier like his father, and traveled to what is now Italy and France.

The most famous legend of St. Martin is of his time as a soldier: One snowy winter evening, Martin and the other soldiers were returning on horseback to Amiens. A freezing beggar was sitting at the city gate. Martin didn't have any money or food to give him, so he used his sword to cut his heavy red soldier’s cloak in half, and gave half to the beggar. That night Martin dreamt that Jesus thanked him for giving Him his cloak. This dream convinced Martin to become a Christian and be baptized. 

Martin remained in the army for two more years, but then he decided that his faith prohibited him from fighting, and he was jailed as a coward. He was eventually released from prison and from military service, and went on to become the bishop of Tours in France. He died peacefully on November 8, 397 A.D., and was buried on November 11, among the first non-martyrs to be venerated as a saint.

Originally Martinstag was celebrated only in the Catholic areas of Germany, Austria, Flanders, Netherlands, and Portugal, but it has now spread to Protestant areas as well.

Tonight is also the First Quarter Moon. We are one-quarter of the way through the moon cycle. The moon is waxing - getting larger - until it's full again. Now is the time to remain flexible, use my obstacles as fuel for growth, and show full effort for priorities.

Agenda:
1. Journal queries
2. Gift list brainstorm
3. Make a lantern
4. Bake Weckmänner (Bun Men)

1. Journal queries:
This month, as part of my daily journal practice, I've been answering the question "What do I want for myself and others?" Today I think about generosity and courage, which St. Martin had a high degree of. I'm not planning to go to jail or give away the coat off my back, but I hope I can release a bit of my selfishness, and some of my need for comfort and safety. 

What potential challenges and obstacles do I face this week and month (things I don’t enjoy, don’t know how to do, or feel blocked on)? How can I best meet these challenges?
How will I find the inspiration that will spark full effort for my priorities, every day, over and over?

I will certainly face obstacles but I will remain flexible and use my obstacles as fuel for growth. This month as the weather turns wet and cold and the pandemic rages on, I am challenged again by the restrictions to my freedom. I will practice opening doors to find creative solutions to apparent limitations.

2. Gift list brainstorm:
In Germany, Martinstag is the start of the Advent season. As my first preparations for the advent season, today I will make a list of gifts to make for family and friends.

3. Make a Lantern:
In many areas of Germany, it Martinstag is celebrated with a parade, of children carrying lanterns, led by a Roman soldier on horseback, and singing traditional songs. 

Many students make a lantern at school, and carry it at the end of a stickAny style of lantern is appropriate, but if you plan to walk around with it, be sure to use an electric candle. 

I have made many kinds of lanterns with kids. Here are a couple of my favorites that might work: Wesak lantern (shown here), Chinese Lanternand atapattama lantern.

􏰀4. Bake Weckmänner (Bun Men):
These yummy yeast breads in the shape of people often appear at Martinstag celebrationsThey are handed out to help remind us of the generosity of St Martin.

Ingredients: 
  • 1 packet yeast  
  • 3 Tbsp. warm water 
  • 1 c. milk 
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1 c. sugar 
  • 6-2/3 cups flour 
  • grated peel from 1 lemon
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2-tsp. salt
  • 1 egg beaten with 2 tablespoons water for glazing 
  • raisins and dried cranberries, soaked in water
Yield- 10 bun men

1. In a small bowl, mix yeast with warm water and 1 Tbsp. of sugar. Let it sit and bubble up for 5 minutes.

2. Combine milk, butter, and sugar, in a saucepan and heat on low until butter melts, then set aside to cool. 

3. Place 6 c. flour into a mixing bowl, make a well in the middle of the flour, and pour yeast mixture into the well. Mix gently to combine, cover, and let rest for 20 minutes. 

4. Add the milk mixture (check that it has cooled down to at least 110ºF), grated lemon peel, and eggs to flour, mix together, and then knead (I used my kitchen aide). Add salt as it kneads, and up to 2/3 c. more flour, to make a stiff dough.




5. Oil the bowl, cover, and let rise for 45 minutes. 



6. Divide dough into 10 pieces. Roll or pat each one into an oblong 1-inch thick, then cut to form into people shapes: 


Form a head at the top, cut in on both sides for the arms, and at bottom for the legs.

7. Place the bun people on baking sheets covered with parchment paper, making sure to leave enough room between each shape. Let rise for another 45 minutes.

8. Soak a handful of raisins and cranberries in water for a few minutes. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Brush the buns with egg and water mixture, and decorate with raisins and cranberries for the eyes and buttons.
9. Bake at for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.


1 comment:

  1. I've never heard of St. Martin and I feel better for knowing about him. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete